Viggen radios

Essah

I'm having some problems fully wrapping my head around how the radio channel select works. The manual's chapter on it isn't very clear to me. Specifically the 2 display windows and the many channel buttons. There's 2 black rotary knobs of which only the left can be manipulated, and 2 analogue display "windows". Most positions of the left knob leave the left display window blank or displaying either 3, 8, 14 or 19. the other window displays either 20 or halfway between 2 symbols.

The only thing I do get is that I can select the button labelled - and manually input frequency, but I want to fully understand the radio. The manual notes that game limitions prevent the full range of frequencies and I imagine that's why some of the positions are blank but I don't get how the 2 display windows, and the buttons are supposed to interact.

Hoping that someone has some insight.

It seems that the radios are still very much WIP. :D

The manual tuning works fine, as do the top row buttons labeled H, 1, 2, etc, if they are properly set in mission editor.

As for the two dials (base selector and group selector), they don't seem to work correctly.

As I understand it, the left dial is associated with the bottom buttons (labeled 0-9) and are used to communicate with air and ground units. There is a kneeboard page with a list of all units, their frequencies and "channels". Those channels are used here. For example, the kneeboard gives 3-1, you turn the dial to 3 (have to guess where that is, since the window doesn't show correctly) and press button 1. I've manage to get it to work, at least I heard other planes talk.

The right dial is used for ATC comms, in conjunction with the buttons above it (A/G, B...) and in a same manner as above. The kneeboard provides a channel e.g. 4-A for Krymsk VHF, you turn the right dial to 4, and press button A. But the dial doesn't turn and I couldn't get it to work.

edit: there are some other issues with the radios, reported here.

Edited by grunf

also the manual frequency selector on the front dash board doesn't seem to work.

As stated in the manual i selected the "-" button and tuned in the frequency of the ATC, but he won't answer so I guess I ****ed up somewhere

Are you sure you have got easy communication set to off?

Can anyone explain how the radio is supposed to be used? I mean, the "philosophy" behind it? Who is listening/transmitting on which frequency or channel?

By default, the bases selector is tuned to your starting base, you can contact it by using presets. The A/G button is used for VHF frequency, C/F for UHF. All the presets are in the kneeboard.

Your flight's frequency is on the preset channel 1 (top row buttons). H button is for transmitting/receiving on guard frequency. There's also a possibility to monitor both selected and guard frequency, but this feature does not work (devs, hint :)).

Other "special channels" in the same row, labeled 2 and no label can be set in mission editor. Button "-" is used for manual tuning.

Other flights channels are located in the bottom row (buttons 1-9), used with the left knob (group selector). The presets are automaticaly generated and can be found in the kneepad.

also the manual frequency selector on the front dash board doesn't seem to work.

As stated in the manual i selected the "-" button and tuned in the frequency of the ATC, but he won't answer so I guess I ****ed up somewhere

It does work. :)

You either have easy comms turned on, or you messed with the radio selector knob, which will fry the radio (bug). :D