New main menu & new MENU HOTAS function.

Fri13

We have all started to have multiple modules, and IMHO we are wasting space in the main menu for the background that could be better used for the module icons as our virtual hangar, that could be set in groups by their genres/eras/types, like trainers in one line, WW2 in own, multiroles in own and helicopters at theirs and of course maps to be well separated from flyable modules. And yet there would be space for the nice backgrounds from the modules.

As well I consider that the right side menu would be better placed to center, and organize the menu items slightly to other order from screen edges to one line.

1207998796_NewMainMenu.thumb.jpg.2683830896988e7e649ceb2b73cd5014.jpg

1. At the top there is the connectivity functions and username.
  2. Second is the main game logo for publicity and the versio number for easily visible for bug reports.
  3. Then comes the first group of three quick menus for quickly generate a sortie or jump for training.
  4. Missions, campaigns and multiplayer are joined together as those are more complex tasks and pre-made.
  5. The logbook is changed for pilot roster for managing virtual pilots. The information about game units and then replays from previous flights.
  6. The fourth group is mission editor and campaign builder as those are not same thing as first group.
  7. The module management and settings are moved at bottom and are similar management tasking other than flying.
  8. And last one is quickly get back to Windows (as we can't run DCS in OS X or Linux).

This would allow avoiding mouse movements across the screen as all would be in one row.

For couple years I have been having goal to get a VR setup minimalistic, meaning that there is no requirement for a mouse or keyboard anymore.

Some years ago ED designed new menu, and they left out IMHO a crucial feature that was a UI control with HOTAS/Joystick. We all have some kind joystick, some has more than one hat (trim or view) and multiple buttons.

We still have limited the core application interface as mouse driven, and when ED implemented Oculus Touch controls they removed requirement for a mouse by major ways.

Same time I moved away from the mouse use and stopped as well binding any other functions to joystick and throttle than what the real aircraft HOTAS would include, meaning if there is a button, switch or knob in the cockpit then I operate that with hand instead HOTAS.

But I still need to use the interface with the controllers or keyboard/mouse. One of the most annoying keyboard requirements is in the tutorials "Press Spacebar to continue" requirement, that should be possible to be set as any wanted button like a joystick main trigger or own (UI buttons should be possibly using same hats if so wanted to be shared by module own controls).

And when wanted to go for quick flight, or manage the mission by swapping the roles, coalition etc. It is requirement to take hands away from HOTAS and use mouse cursor. There is a way to use a VR HMD locked mouse cursor and bind Left/Right to HOTAS, but that is not suitable in the cockpit.

So for years now I have wished to see a interface configuration possibility so that couple 4-way hats in HOTAS could be binded to work in menus as two functions, similar like F-16 or A-10C TMS/DMS hats would do.

IMHO it could require ED a minor effort to dramatically increase the usability of the menu, where today a VR flying could be easily be made so small that you don't have anything else than a chair, HOTAS and pedals and most things player could operate just by having hands on HOTAS (this would not include mission editor to be usable by this manner).

It all starts from the main menu itself, fully usable by the HOTAS alone. Just launch the DCS, put VR on and lay your hands on your HOTAS.

719428260_2DCSNEWMENU.thumb.jpg.177ea54f38133d95fdeec32291ad6ede.jpg

From the main menu you can use Hat 2 for selecting menu items Up/Down, and Hat 1 to activate selected item by (either depress or) right click.

589331514_3MISSIONMENU.thumb.jpg.e86e84f850824a8cec6e6d51a6e3a597.jpg

When you get to example Mission selection screen, you use Hat 2 to manage the views like in Hornet, Falcon or Warthog, following the modern HOTAS design.

With Hat 1 you manage the selections or bottom buttons.

754978100_4BRIEFINGMENU.thumb.jpg.3fceb34dc88ec0c0b8dc10535ac71c01.jpg

In simple windows you only need to use Hat 1 for advancements.

2075198717_5COALITIONMENU.thumb.jpg.d31e503aa672f3baff3f287c0fa08d9d.jpg

Some menus could be redesigned for four directions, but with HAT 1 and HAT 2 one could perform selections as needed.

1125183740_6ROLEMENU.thumb.jpg.111808012eeaaae14e613f4aa0f921dc.jpg

When there is list to have roles, Hat 2 will scroll them one by one up and down while Hat 1 will again operate bottom buttons. In long lists in multiplayer Long Press would jump one page up/down instead each position individually.

1121062988_7BRIEFINGMENU_2.thumb.jpg.13d1deb382085076f5f686a694258c20.jpg

In screens that has just one button, Hat 1 right click is the default one. The Hat 2 allows to scroll the possible lists (again, these windows could be redesigned to use better the screen space.

• Like 2

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Mower said:

Me no get, is this an idea or a download?

I think it's an idea, and it is a decent one. Personally, I don't really have many gripes about the main menu, but I would like to see the empty space be a bit more lively, like maybe some footage taken from the various trailers playing in the background or something like that.

Another thing I think is needed is a built-in wizard for the controls. This would make it much simpler for people have multiple air frames and are wanting to map them. This way, you can map the binds and any that apply to multiple aircraft are applied. If it's something that only applies to one aircraft (for example the F-14s master arm setup) then you can go in and do what you need to do on it.