Serveradmins - integrity_check files/folders

Panzertard

I'm planning to plan which folders to check and include in the "network.cfg" and integrity_check section for my server.

I'd like to discuss which paths to include, so we may get a better understanding of which paths are important and which one's that may be irrelevant.

From the Readme 1.0.1:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

CHANGES TO MULTIPLAYER

1. In order to minimuize the possibiliby of cheating in multiplayer, a system of file and folder checks on the client machine by the server has been implemented. If the contents of the checked files/folders on the client side do not match the contents of the server, the client will be unable to connect to the server. By default, the server is set to check the folder "\Config\Weapons". The specific files and folders to be checked can be set in the following configuration file: "\Config\network.cfg", using the "integrity_check" parameter.

2. Expanded the scripting possibilites for online servers. For more information, see "\Scripts\net\".

"\BlackShark\data\scripts" contains some Paylods data - but also the Options.lua.

I wonder if these are "user/ME" oriented only, and perhaps not being used by the game engine?

Does anyone know?

What about any of the textures / world modelling / shapes. Some units may have been tampered with to make them larger? Or maybe "glowing".

Im not sure which folders too check for such exploits - suggestions would be nice. :)

"\Scripts\Aircrafts\_Common", what about the rearm / pylon files there?

(And again the conflict we might get with users who change the FMOptions.lua" in the same folder).

"\Ka-50\Scripts\Database" may be safe to include?

Or is it irrelevant since it's the server who uses these files and decides the outcome of any actions towards the objects stored here?

Then "\Scripts\Database\helicopters" where the Ka-50.lua is stored. Perhaps it's essential to include this folder?

But then again - will we see a conflict with users who have custom skins and modification of that file?

"\Scripts\Database\scripts" may be essential.

Again, another problematic one - especially if you run ServMan:

"\Scripts\net"

Checking this folder may be essential due to the fact of the event.lua and client.lua - but two of the files will be different if ServMan is installed (server and events).

How do we solve this?

Edited by Panzertard

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning

• ED Team

You can add directories as well as single files to the integrity_check list.

So if you want to check only some files in a given directory you just add the files to the list explicitly instead of specifying the whole directory.

Hope it is clear.

In the future, given real-world usage patterns, we may be able rearrange file system layout to simplify/minimize useful integrity_check contents.

EDIT: This system is far from perfect, but we'll try to make it better and easier to use for both servers and clients. Please, be patient.

Edited by c0ff

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Thanks for the heads-up, c0ff. This is why I wanted to open the debate as well, so we can get an overview over which files that is expected to change on a users computer - and which files that needs to be restricted.

So good news that we can micromanage some of the files too, thank you ;)

The mind is like a parachute. It only works when it's open | The important thing is not to stop questioning