Sound mod - Megas GAU-8 and impact sounds

EDIT: @MODS THANK YOU VERY MUCH for moving this! I really did not see the proper forum, I am new to this so exuse me. ;)

Hey folks. This is not fitting for tech support and I don't see a section in the forums just for modifications.

So yeah, a video says more than a thousand words.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=403_1204057873

Two videos say even more.

CRANK UP YOUR SPEAKERS so the engine of the A10 sounds comfortable.

FOCUSS ON IMPACTS

ozMCdhj8uV8

FOCUSS ON GUN (old impacts)

HXGa53tXJoc

-"new" GAU-8 sound

-multiple gun new impact sounds

-range for impacts to be hearable increased (thanks toLMoS for the inspiration to do that)

-low end added to engine's back and a bit of low end for the inside view

So yeah, I am an audiophile and I did a lot of sound editing for ArmA 2 - people seem to forget that BASS is an extremely important factor to sound. And the stock sound that came with the game was lacking bass, a LOT. I mean we are speaking about a 30mm cannon here! All I did was create a sinus wave with the rate of fire of the GAU-8 and mixed it with the sound that came with the game. I also added some "cripsyness" to each shot with another wave, but triangle, not sinus. Put in some cues for the game engine to loop the sound, done.

The effect is not HUGE but pretty sweet. The GAU-8 finally sounds like a bassy, warm cannon that it is. I strongly suggest to everyone to try out "my version".

"The 30mm cannon shakes the aircraft like a 20mm doesn't". - some A10 pilot from YouTube. I think I got that right. Listen to the game in some really good speakers with nice low-end/good headphones. You will hear what I mean.

I also took some impacts sounds from the U-Tube and tweaked them a bit. The version of the impacts in the video above is not final, I just did some changes. But basically the impacts sound like they are supposed to sound. Brutal. The only downside is that the brutal amount of sounds being played at the same time COULD MAYBE PERHAPS screw up the audio system, but I think DCS has a sound-number capper in there so it's not a problem. In my tests I had no issues.

DOWNLOAD: (This link will always be the most up-to-date version, no need to read the whole thread in case it gets bigger. ;))

http://www.mediafire.com/?gqnp299ow43rreh

Enoy and post feedback, thanks.

Edited by Megagoth1702

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Posting tracks to make your DCS better - attention bump incoming!

Will do.. I'll do a before test to get my ears acclimated then try the new mod. Just from the video it sounded better.

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Sorry, I did a mistake in sound selection before rendering the sounds.

Please use this package from now on, the first post is already updated with the newest package. "Install" is as usual, just follow the readme.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?oh4l18y285u784d

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Wow Megagoth1702 ... that's so much better!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the ExplodeGround0.wav sound file is being used by other guns as well right? Like the 120mm ground impact I think.

So if that's the case I think ED should honor him by given him its own sound file.

I am pretty sure the Ground0.wav is NOT used for anything else... Listen to the stock sound, "plop". What developer would ever use such a sound for a 120mm impact?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Many weapons share the same impact sound, that sucks. For example the CBU-97 sounds the same like the Mk82. The developers should really do something about that. That's why I stopped work on a explosion sound mod, because i didn't find any config or lua files to fix that.

I am on my laptop right now, so I can't say much about your firing sounds, but the Gau-Impacts sound very nice!

Edited by Niki75

Regards,

Niki

Well in that case I don't give a rat's ass. Proper sounding GAU8 and impacts are more important than tank sounds. Although I am pretty sure you can tell for each ammo type what kind of explosion it triggers... I dont feel like digging deep into the configs though.

Tiny update:

v 1.03

-tweaked GAU8 sounds a bit, turns out my subwoofer was exaggerating bass that wasn't there. Now even the last guy with some proper phones can feel the shake.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?uoeikd16zl7s5zc

Edited by Megagoth1702
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Well in that case I don't give a rat's ass. Proper sounding GAU8 and impacts are more important than tank sounds. Although I am pretty sure you can tell for each ammo type what kind of explosion it triggers... I dont feel like digging deep into the configs though.

Tiny update:

v 1.03

-tweaked GAU8 sounds a bit, turns out my subwoofer was exaggerating bass that wasn't there. Now even the last guy with some proper phones can feel the shake.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?uoeikd16zl7s5zc

Excellent work. Thanks

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

New video up with most recent impacts and cannon.

CRANK UP YOUR SPEAKERS so the engine of the A10 sounds comfortable.

HXGa53tXJoc

If anyone has one of these "Buttkicker" thingies, tell me how it is. :-D I can only imagine the vibration you get from that. My woofer is already giving some vibes through my whole house, haha. :-D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

I didn't get a chance to test this last night but should be able to tonight. I really like the new tweaks to the impact sounds. I can't wait to get a buttkicker. This is the perfect mod for it.

I'm sure we have all heard these.

Edited by TulsA-10

" I'm gonna have to be taking your car today. See I have some top secret clown business that supersedes any plans that you might have for this here vehicle."

Wow, I gotta install this and try it out. I was always disappointed with the very weak or non-existent GAU impact sounds in A-10 stock, when the real one is like this:

As far as bass goes... that's that frequency range of sound that makes the neighbors complain, unfortunately :(

But actually just HAVING an impact sound will be a vast improvement, even in pure treble :)

Intelligent discourse can only begin with the honest admission of your own fallibility.

Member of the Virtual Tactical Air Group: http://vtacticalairgroup.com/

Lua scripts and mods:

MIssion Scripting Tools (Mist): http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=98616

Slmod version 7.0 for DCS: World: http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=80979

Now includes remote server administration tools for kicking, banning, loading missions, etc.

Heh well, if you have neighbours just use some decent headphones I guess...

But yeah - I tried my best to "simulate" the GUN's heavyness.

@Impacts: Well they are the downside of this "mod".

For each explosion only ONE sample is used, to different versions, no pitch alterations, nothing. So weird phasing effects can occur. Also - the impact sample itself is not just a "bang", its a bit longer than that to compensate for the problem. But I think it's still way better compared to what was in the game originally.

Some documentation on the sound engine of this game would be really neat. In my opinion the engines are lacking some low end as well. I would never put in as much as I put into the cannon but some rumble in certain situations would increase immersion and the feel that you sit in a jet that is propelled by 2 big engines. Not to speak of the rumble you should hear behind the jet. Low end is missing.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

For each explosion only ONE sample is used, to different versions, no pitch alterations, nothing. So weird phasing effects can occur. Also - the impact sample itself is not just a "bang", its a bit longer than that to compensate for the problem.

Well actually the longer you make it, the easier it is going to be to perceive phasing or comb filters.

This is not easy to overcome. You could use a bank of samples, but that would be a waste of memory space. You can also randomise the group delay of each instance of the sample, but that eats CPU time.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well actually the longer you make it, the easier it is going to be to perceive phasing or comb filters.

This is not easy to overcome. You could use a bank of samples, but that would be a waste of memory space. You can also randomise the group delay of each instance of the sample, but that eats CPU time.

To be honest - I am no scripter/coder... I have absolutely no idea how to do all this.

But I can also agree that the longer you make the impact sample, the better it will sound in the end. But then random bullets that hit the earth will trigger the "long" impact sound... So... Yeah, I think it's fine for now until I find out more about the engine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

To be honest - I am no scripter/coder... I have absolutely no idea how to do all this.

But I can also agree that the longer you make the impact sample, the better it will sound in the end. But then random bullets that hit the earth will trigger the "long" impact sound... So... Yeah, I think it's fine for now until I find out more about the engine.

This is from .sdef file:

-- RANDOM SAMPLE SELECTION:

-- If you provide a list of samples, in this way:

wave = {"sample0", "sample1", "sample2"}

-- on each playback a random sample from the list will be used.

So maybe you can edit the ExplodeGround0.sdef like this:

wave = "Effects/Explosions/ExplodeGround0", "Effects/Explosions/ExplodeGround0_1", "Effects/Explosions/ExplodeGround0_2"

inner_radius = 15

outer_radius = 100

trigger = true

Regards,

Niki

Thank you SO MUCH for this "random" framework! I have not looked at the file yet, now so much is explained.

Check the results! Pretty much no more corruptions/phasey bullshit. The only tweakable thing now are the sounds themselves, but I got other stuff to do atm.

ozMCdhj8uV8

I am currently working on low end for the engine sounds. I mean yeah, it's a high whiney turbine but I am sure it needs some bassy rumble to it in order to make it feel like an A10. Any input from real life dudes is welcome. I am looking for the "feel" of the engines. Does it feel slick? Or fat? Or brutal? Paint me some pictures and I will try my best to make them sound good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64

Just tried it out and it rocks. Much better than stock sounds. thank you. I look forward to new updates

I am glad you guys like this. :)

After the forums being down for a while I got a small update for you folks who were always wondering why the engine has no low end what so ever.

This is how it's probably supposed to be:

Whiney at the front, low end at the end.

DOWNLOAD:

http://www.mediafire.com/?gakz8fs1bpekxzp

Megas DCS A-10 Sounds 1.04

-added low end for the engine when looked at from the back, enjoy that rumble folks (be aware that when using fly-by view the lows get even lower which means only hardcore sub woofers/buttkickers can reproduce it. Watching the plane in F2 should do fine though.)

-a little bit of low end for the engines inside

-multiple impact samples randomly picked on each impact, very nice stuff, works really well :) Thanks to Niki75 for the tip

-new and clean mod folder system, no more need to push around sound files, see the ReadMe

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

System specs:

2500k @ 4.6 GHz

8GB RAM

HD7950 OC'd

Win7 x64