Controls don't work in some multiplayer missions

This probably has nothing to do with the Mi-8 but maybe somebody knows what is going on.

I sometimes join multiplayer maps where the Red team has Mi-8s and the Blue team has Hueys. Now if I choose an Mi-8 slot, I often can't even move the cyclic. It just doesn't move inside the cockpit when I move my joystick. But I can hop over into a Huey of the Blue team and everything works fine. It is just the Mi-8 slots that don't work. Another player once confirmed that they had the same issue with the Mi-8.

So I usually leave those servers/maps and try to stay away from them, because it seems server/map related. One example would be

Server: DCS Israel

Map: Under Attack 0.87

but it happened in multiple servers/maps. Seems like it is always the same behaviour in some maps. But not all. I can fly Mi-8s fine in other multiplayer missions.

Does anybody know what causes this? Is it some multiplayer server slot limitation, locking certain aircraft? Or is the map scripting just bugged and nobody reports it to be fixed? It is driving me nuts. :)

This probably has nothing to do with the Mi-8 but maybe somebody knows what is going on.

I sometimes join multiplayer maps where the Red team has Mi-8s and the Blue team has Hueys. Now if I choose an Mi-8 slot, I often can't even move the cyclic. It just doesn't move inside the cockpit when I move my joystick. But I can hop over into a Huey of the Blue team and everything works fine. It is just the Mi-8 slots that don't work. Another player once confirmed that they had the same issue with the Mi-8.

So I usually leave those servers/maps and try to stay away from them, because it seems server/map related. One example would be

Server: DCS Israel

Map: Under Attack 0.87

but it happened in multiple servers/maps. Seems like it is always the same behaviour in some maps. But not all. I can fly Mi-8s fine in other multiplayer missions.

Does anybody know what causes this? Is it some multiplayer server slot limitation, locking certain aircraft? Or is the map scripting just bugged and nobody reports it to be fixed? It is driving me nuts. :)

Just tried it - on that server. First I could not move the stick in the cockpit either. But when I powered the helo up, it was moving and I could fly fine.

Weird, thought I did try this once. Will try it again next time. Thanks!

The behaviour I described seems to be normal and correct. Just found this by accident:

If the hydraulics fail, the autopilot system shuts off. It requires hydraulic system pressure to operate (in the case of the Mi-8, it must be the primary system, the backup system cannot operate the autopilot).

Also, the actuator goes into "manual" mode and, in theory at least, is able to be manipulated without hydraulic power. In practice, this requires so much force that it's not practical. In the Mi-8, the emergency procedure for a dual hydraulic system failure is to prepare the crew for bailout. For example, I am able to operate the pedals on an Mi-8 without hydraulic pressure, but it's not easy. I can also operate the cyclic if I brace myself and use both arms. Of course, I cannot operate either fast enough to effectively fly the aircraft (note that I've never tried in the air, obviously, just on the ground).

I'll try to find a digram I have of the actuators, although my diagrams are for a KAU-115 model booster from the Mi-8MTV-5 and newer aircraft. I believe that the Ka-50 uses a KAU-100, but I'm not positive. I don't know the specific differences between the Mi-8 actuators and the Ka-50 actuators.

In a powered down helo, i.e. without hydraulics, the controls don't move an inch. :o)

• 1 year later...
Just tried it - on that server. First I could not move the stick in the cockpit either. But when I powered the helo up, it was moving and I could fly fine.

I just started learning the Mi-8 a week or so ago.

What you state is true for me, too in the Cold Start sortie in Instant Action and the 159th's MP server.

In MP, using the Virtual Aerobatics Server, the Cyclic and the Collective controls in the cockpit will move before power is turned on.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]