DCS Performance tuning for low framerate on a new computer.

Hello,

I've been having a few problems with poor performance on DCS World. Currently, I haven't been able to get above 30 frames per second even with all the graphics options turned down to LOW, all the traffic off and all the sliders set to minimum value and Antialiasing turned off, and only when flying over empty terrain with no clouds. The cockpit is set to 256, and everything looks about as terrible as I can make it with the exception of the resolution, which is native.

Currently, my setup is as follows:

i7-4770k @ 3.5Ghz (Hyperthreading is on, if that counts for anything)

GIGABYTE GTX770+ 4GB VRAM

16GB RAM 2133MHz

Windows 8.1 Ultimate.

Monitors set at 5760x1080p (I have three, they're running on Nvidia Surround)

When landing or taxiing, even with no other aircraft around, the performance usually drops to around 20-15 Frames Per Second. If I turn up the graphics any higher, the game slows down even more. On the other hand, I can run other games quite well, including CrYsis and X-Plane 10 quite easily with the graphics looking great.

I'm not sure what else I should do. Would you have any suggestions?

Thank you.

Edited by luckyfortune
Clarification.

I have a similar system you need to overclock that 4770k I have mine at 4.6ghz. When I ran nvidia surround in dcs with sli 770 which I am selling I was at 60fps until you got near big cities, then I would be in 40's and 50's

Get nvidia inspector and change the sli profile for digital combat simulator black shark as called that in nvidia inspector, and change sli profile to the very last one don't recall name but that gave me the best performance in sli if you have it. If you only have one card well it's not enough for nvidia surround unfortunately.

Dcs world is very very cpu dependent just like arma 3 and arma 2. Higher clock on processor the better. Also make sure in dcs settings you are playing in full screen if not your performance will suffer in nvidia surround.

Edited by rcjonessnp175
  • Like 1

I7 4770k @ 4.6, sli 980 evga oc edition, ssdx2, Sony 55 inch edid hack nvidia 3dvision. Volair sim pit, DK2 Oculus Rift.

...I'm not sure what else I should do. Would you have any suggestions?

Don't saying you should do it, but if I were in your position. I'd try to get one more GTX770 (cheap one, 2nd hand, ebay, or borrow from someone) and run them in SLI. NVidia scales pretty well in DCS, and single GTX770 might be little overloaded with 3x FullHD screens.

But it is not a guaranteed fix. I have just single fullHD-LCD, GTX780, i5@4.8GHz, and there are moments when I see ~10fps on runway (big missions, a lot of players/objects, etc). Sometimes even less.

"EDGE" should be out by the end of this year. Maybe it's clever to wait one or two months and then see if DCS "2.x" is better optimised...

Don't saying you should do it, but if I were in your position. I'd try to get one more GTX770 (cheap one, 2nd hand, ebay, or borrow from someone) and run them in SLI. NVidia scales pretty well in DCS, and single GTX770 might be little overloaded with 3x FullHD screens.

But it is not a guaranteed fix. I have just single fullHD-LCD, GTX780, i5@4.8GHz, and there are moments when I see ~10fps on runway (big missions, a lot of players/objects, etc). Sometimes even less.

"EDGE" should be out by the end of this year. Maybe it's clever to wait one or two months and then see if DCS "2.x" is better optimised...

I agree with his thoughts about one card being overloaded. I have a 4k monitor which is in the somewhat ballpark for total pixels and I can't get great FPS with everything turned up even with SLI 970's. I think you're going to be really hurting trying to drive all that with one card. I am also hoping that EDGE has some DX11 tricks up its sleeve to make life better. My current system cannot manage 3-way SLI and I can't afford to upgrade anymore than I already have so I have to tap out with what I have.

[TRUNCATED]...Also make sure in dcs settings you are playing in full screen if not your performance will suffer in nvidia surround.

Wow! I never would've thought of that... that one step fixed so much. I can bump up a few of the graphics settings and the game actually runs very smoothly now, provided I don't get too close to a city with lots of objects on it, or start firing the machine guns. I'll try to bump the clock speed up a little bit, but right now I am on the stock cooler on a bit of a limited budget at this very moment - I can't afford to fry the chip so I won't be able to increase it by much :(.

Thank you so much!

[TRUNCATED]...But it is not a guaranteed fix. I have just single fullHD-LCD, GTX780, i5@4.8GHz, and there are moments when I see ~10fps on runway (big missions, a lot of players/objects, etc). Sometimes even less.

Huh, gotcha. If it's only a few more months, I can definitely wait, and hope. I hear that the DCS engine is actually a little dated, so I'm hoping they'll update that for multi-core use, it doesn't seem like the clock speeds are getting that higher, although it seems like tacking on more cores is the way things are going.

Why don't you do a test with just one monitor? With the results you can confirm what the others are saying about overloaded VGA. ;)

Great idea, I ran the test, just like you said. With the mode set to full-screen, things between one monitor and three monitors actually don't seem to get that different. They both seem to slow down about the same amount for the same thing.

All in all, it looks like I seem to slow down the most when firing guns (Maybe it's all those particle effects?) or when I get close to lots of buildings. I can bump the graphics up a little bit, but the problems seem to persist when I'm near objects or firing guns.

Wonder if it's my CPU slow clock speed being the bottleneck?

Edited by luckyfortune

There are some objects that are really bad on performance. There is an old performance thread that points out one vehicle in particular as an example. http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=107551 It's probably not CPU, just being in range of objects that tax GPU performance. Mirrors, Shkval, TGP, Macerick Camera, etc. will all cause hits too. Flying straight and level in nowheresville looking at DSMS and CDU will yield drastically different results from being near lots of objects looking at TGP and Mav cam.