Impossible to taxi!

On 12/5/2014 at 10:31 AM, Hadwell said:

lock the tail wheel to go streight, unlock it to turn. learn that the brakes aren't just on/off, they need to be feathered.

Feathered so that's it?

We don't all have the ability to feather the brakes when we map the controls.

Most DCS pilots don't use a pedal rudder control and in addition some people have leg problems and injuries. Some people don't have both legs. Some people I know don't have a kneecap because the Vietcong blew it off. There are all kinds of reasons people don't have Rudder Pedals. So they use a twiststck or a paddle on the throttle, like me. So in these cases the brakes have to be mapped somewhere else. It makes the 109 unflyable sometimes. Not all the time. But one wrong move when starting out on the taxiway and it's a nigh mare that can't be fixed. If the tailwheel gives you a problem you may as well just respawn right away and hope it doesn't happen again or you'll spend an hour spinning on the runway until you hit something and blow up. There should be an update with option on the 109 for a slightly more forgiving tail wheel. 

PS: Same for the P-51 since the brakes were ruined after this last update. 

Edited by Captain Chuck

17 minutes ago, Captain Chuck said:

Not true. Maybe for YOU! There is something wrong with the modelling of this. It needs to be simplified for the cyber-world because it's not this hard in the real world to get the knack of it. On a PC you don't have the help of for 5 senses. 

That's your subjective assessment. I find it much easier to taxi than the Spit or the Mosquito with their strange combined pedal & brake method. If I flew those aircraft frequently, I would probable find them just as easy to taxi.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

4 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

That's your subjective assessment. I find it much easier to taxi than the Spit or the Mosquito with their strange combined pedal & brake method. If I flew those aircraft frequently, I would probable find them just as easy to taxi.

I fly all the warbirds except Mosquito frequently and the 109 is the only problem - except after this last update when they changed the P-51 they ruined the brakes for those of us who can't feather the brake controls. Now it tips over almost immediately after touching them no matter how slow you go....... so it is now VERY difficult to steer. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chuck said:

... those of us who can't feather the brake controls. Now it tips over almost immediately after touching them no matter how slow you go....... so it is now VERY difficult to steer. 

If you don't have analog brake pedals that might be a totally different ballgame. I have no experience with that.

• Like 1

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

13 minutes ago, LeCuvier said:

If you don't have analog brake pedals that might be a totally different ballgame. I have no experience with that.

Yeah... I think that maybe what it is and I'm gonna work on this some more and experiment with settings. The weird thing is-  not every time is the Bf-109 a problem. Usually I have no problems but sometimes it just goes so haywire that I can't get the tail wheel straight and I may as well choose another plane.

Sadly, without analog brakes the warbirds are going to be very difficult to work with, due to physics of their landing gear. IRL, in a taildragger you almost never give it full brake unless you're at standstill and want to hold it down. With proper toe brakes, the 109 is hard enough to taxi, but it's doable (and it's actually easier than Spitfire). In your situation, the Spit is probably going to be a better choice because it has a hand-operated brake lever on the stick.