PC upgrade and DCS World performance.

lef64

Hello,

I recently upgraded my rig to:

ASUSZ97-PRO GAMER LGA1150 Z97

Intel Core i7-4790k 4.0/4.4G, 8MB 5GT/S

4 x DDR3 DIMM 8GB 1866MHz Corsair (32GB Overall)

Samsung MZ-75E500B SSD850 EVO (Read 540MB/S-Write 520MB/S), 500GB SATA3

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 GPU 4GB GDDR5

Creative SB Xtreme Fidelity X-Fi Platinum

ATX 750W COOLER MASTER

HOTAS Warthog Thrustmaster

Monitor Res. 1920x1080

It was a two steps upgrade.

At first I updraded my GPU, HD and RAM (to 24GB). That did not provide a great improvement of FR and overal game performance.

In a second time I upgraded MB, CPU and RAM (to 32GB). That produced a good boost in DCS World performance with FR close to 60 fps, dropping to around 40-30 fps at critical times.

With my second upgrade, but improving all hardware components I could optimize SSD reading/writing exchange and move to a clean OS installation.

Now, it seems clear CPU till has the greatest impact over DCS World performance. Improving HD rigs with SSD reduces missions upload times and could fix microstuttering episodes.

I have till to experiment with critical aspects of the game related to some known problems as the impact of cluster bombs.

Few words about GPU upgrading.......

I noticed DCS World graphic smoothness is largely influenced by Anisotropic Filtering (AF).

It's worth to remember that DCS World setting does not allow changes to AF level and it must be worked through GPU Setting Panel.

That said it's clear that improving GPU you can try higher AF setting levels.

After GPU upgrade I could set AF to 16x (max level in GeForce Panel). That gives a smooth pictures with DCS World.

• Like 1

Set Anisoptropic and Antialiasing to Application Controlled...

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

Set Anisoptropic and Antialiasing to Application Controlled...

I'm using Application Controlled Antialiasing.

As regard Anisoptropic Filtering I'm getting some graphic corruption - nothing but occasional trembling, orizontal lines- when setting as Application Controlled. I'm getting a more smooth and stable graphin when setting AT x16 in GeForce panel.