Apologies for a hardware query

mart

Hi

I have a query about whether my computer is up to running Flaming Cliffs 3

I used to play Flaming Cliffs 1.1, but have had a prolonged period of illness.

I now have a Macbook 13" (though with an external monitor).

I also have an 150 GB Bootcamp partition running Windows 7

The specifications of my Macbook are as follows:

----------------------------------------------

Macbook pro 13" (mid 2012 )

USB 3.0

2.9 GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 (Ivy Bridge) processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Memory - 8 GB (1600 Mhz DDR3)

Intel hd graphics 4000 (1024mb VRAM)

L2 Cache (per core) 256 KB

L3 Cache 4 MB

---------------------------------------------

I wonder if someone would be able to give me any indication how Flaming Cliffs 3 would run on this system. It may help to mention that I'm thinking of buying an external USB 3.0 Solid State Hard Hard Drive onto which the game would be installed. My laptop is also USB 3.0 so the speed should be pretty good.

Any thoughts would be just so appreciated.

Thanks everyone

Martin

Thanks Azrayen :)

I have already done that, and certainly the demos have a good FPS, though I know that's different from flying the sim.

I'm having a problem actually getting to fly the plane myself. This is a bit personal, so you'll need to read between the lines. The cockpits and controls of the FC3 planes are not as complex as those of their equivalents in the single DCS modules. Learning to play Flaming Cliffs again is going to be an unusually long and difficult process, and may prove impossible.

But, under the circumstances, if the computer is going to be up to Flaming Cliffs 3 I would have all the world to try it out a more simplified version of the single module DCS planes. I suspect the first trick is to actually get one in the air!

If I could paraphrase by saying that I need to know if my laptop is up to the job, and then, over time, whether I am as well. If I decided to try and give the DCS SU-25t a run around the block, I'd end up deleting the program before it got out of the hangar, and my Macbook wouldn't even get a look-in.

I'm so sorry that I've given an obscure reply to your really helpful and sensible advice. I suspect you'll understand, and I also wouldn't want to say more.

Many thanks, and my apologies for being a pain in the backside.

Martin

Hi again Azrayen.

I think I would be better to take a different approach to explaining the human apsect of my initial query. My situation is not one that anybody should, in a reasonable world, feel unable to speak of.

I am very well educated and successfully so, and after many years at University, I spent 25 years as a Probation Officer, until I sustained a brain injury, and was eventually medically retired. In many ways, I'm as quick as I was, but in other ways I'm not. Sitting in the cockpit of the DCS Su-25t was like sitting in front of a 10 metre wall of concrete.

If I am able to get over that wall, when the wall is maybe a little smaller, I'd (probably) be fine.

Perhaps the best thing I could do is load up Mig Alley.

But, if there's any kind soul out there who fancies meeting a Zoologist with an extensive knowledge of the Criminal Justice Service (and all who use it) and a good sense of humour, then I make a good cup of tea if you fancy a couple of sessions with me to get me over that wall. I'll even provide the cakes.

But thanks for the help.

I'd also like to mention that I know this forum of old. I'm not really a forum person, but this forum has always been welcoming to people of all persuasions, and without all the petty bigotries you can sometimes find elsewhere. Under the present circumstances, where people must have a wide range of opinions about current events, the forum seems to remain a place of calm and friendship.

Ok, where did I put my Mig Alley disk and a pile of patches?

Thanks again :)

Martin

Thanks Azrayen :) I have already done that, and certainly the demos have a good FPS, though I know that's different from flying the sim.

Mart I think you misunderstand...There is no "Demo" for DCS: World. DCS: World is free and comes with the Su-25T and TP-51 modules.

Those modules work just like any of the other modules available. You can even join online games to check your online performance provided the creator of the map included the Su-25T as a client aircraft.

If you are happy with the performance you got with the "Demo", :smilewink: you're all set. As far as getting the Su-25T in the air, there are lots of youtube videos with tutorials for operating aircraft in DCS.

Sierra

(BTW...You noticed there is an F-86 module...right? )

Edited by Sierra99

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Thanks Sierra

I know the plane isn't a demo (pretty kind of ED, eh?) and there is a really great series of tutorials on Youtube, by Robert Sogomonian. Actually, they're bl**dy brilliant!

I'll give it another go. After all, I have all the time in the world. Think I just got a bit overwhelmed. which is a shame, as I fwas fine with the Frogfoot in FC 1.1.

So - time to get to work! I apologise for thinking aloud, though it can sometimes give you a nudge, when you have too much inertia.

Incidentally, I saw the Sabre. I always think they look fantastic.

Anyway, many thanks for help - and the gentle kick. :)

All the best

Martin

Welcome Mart!

Just take it slow and concentrate on ONE module at a time using the tutorials that were mentioned and you will be fine. DCs IS overwhelming but if you take it slow and small steps at a time you will be OK..

I also recommend just learning how to fly the plane before ever even looking at the systems / weapons etc.. (I still have more than one module that I can fly the plane and have ZERO idea how to use weapons... Who cares? Still enjoying them all immensely.

Also, be sure to look at the excellent manuals provided for each module.. There is a lot of info in there and can save a lot of head scratching...

:thumbup:

"Pride is a poor substitute for intelligence."

RAMBO

Many thanks to you both.

I've already spilled the beans so I may as well add that I've also been unable to watch TV for maybe 5 years or more. Case of "too much information" and problems concentrating. Just can't tell you how frustrating it is when you're bombarded with "stuff".

But your advice is sensible, and there's no reason at all why it wouldn't "work" if I backed off a bit. I've just been looking at the tutorials again, and he does go slowly and methodically. More than that, he makes the viewer go slowly.

So, I'll sign off and be quiet, and if I manage to get my landing gear off the runway, I'll be back to let you know.

Should be about the time your first iWatches break! :)

All the best

Martin

When it gets to be too much, walk away and just read the manual at your own pace... Having some knowledge ahead of time helps alot when you jump back in..

Hang in there and just keep plugging away slowly..

Also, pick some quick start missions that start with you in the air so you can just fly... Don't worry about the cold start stuff until you are ready to jump into that..

RAMBO

Thanks

Good advice - again! Especially about walking away, and quick starts.

I'm afraid that, in the past, "walking away from the computer" has been reversed. I've stayed where I am, and it's the computer that's "travelled".

But it is great advice, especially knowing that other people are really having similar problem as I am, even when they know the sim, but try a new module.

I'll start with the tutorials but skip the episodes that involve getting up there and then getting down again :)

Martin

But your advice is sensible, and there's no reason at all why it wouldn't "work" if I backed off a bit. I've just been looking at the tutorials again, and he does go slowly and methodically. More than that, he makes the viewer go slowly.

As you begin your journey remember, this is a Hobby and it's supposed to be fun. In real life NOBODY climbs into an Su-25 and taxis to takeoff the first time without help, an instructor and a few hundred hours of basic pilot training behind them. As hobbyists, simply getting one of these beasts airborne without scraping the paint is an accomplishment. You get to practice and pretend to be a Soviet attack pilot and if you crash...Ya get to restart and try again...

Without a trip to the emergency room.

Best Wishes

Sierra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

Sierra,

that is SO true.

Following your advice, I did back up a bit, and found a very brief Key-command summary created 159th_Falcon, which I can use/alter with the tutorials. I put that and the manuals on a great little PDF reader on my Samsung tablet. Very light, easy to read, both at the computer and not.

It's already feeling a LOT more manageable.

Funnily enough my son is a trauma and emergency doctor. He works half the time in what you'd call the emergency room, at the hospital in Cambridge, and the other half of his time as an air-ambulance doctor. Did it initially for 6 months in North Queensland and got to enjoy the more "interesting" winches. But helicopter doctors don't winch in the UK.

Anyway, things seem to be getting into some shape.

I'm so grateful for the time you and others have spent with me, because it has made a real difference - no, really. You've also been really patient.

As for me - I'm so surprised that it looks like it'll be ok if I don't rush.

So, I think I'll be up and running reasonably soon. But no take offs, landings, or weapons for a while. Ha!

Thanks again

Martin

Excellent.. Please keep us posted as you go.. Good and bad.. I am betting that when you do hit a rough spot you can post it in this thread and others will have had a similar if not the same issue and can post some pointers for you...

As Sierra99 said, this is supposed to be fun so when it stops being fun set it aside and maybe do some reading instead and then pick it up later when you feel fresh.. I can tell you that real piloting is an overwhelming thing and that is why when you take lessons they are usually one flight hour at a time... Doesn't sound like much but you are SPENT at the end of that hour! (At least I was and am)

RAMBO

Hi Martin, good luck with your effort here.

Be sure to pop back and tell us how you are getting on!

Break everything down into its smallest piece as an objective

Then plod through them one at a time.

Mike

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Thanks all of you

Feel I'm on the right road / relaxed attitude. Also, must keep taking the pills!

I'll be back to let you know how it's going. Don't underestimate how helpful you all were. It was much appreciated.

Right - better go fire up the program and the YouTube tutorial.

Best to you all

Martin

Well, that was quick!

I've been able to have a good look at the first tutorial, and it all seems manageable (at least while I'm on the ground!) and I'll take things slowly as people suggested. I have a feeling it will all work out.

Because I have a MacBook, running the sim in a Bootcamp partition, I can see that that a number of keyboard commands would need to be re-mapped, which looks easy enough. When using an external monitor, I have always run the Macbook in clamshell mode, slipped under the monitor, and used a bluetooth Mac keyboard. But I also have a decent Logitech Windows keyboard from times past, so I don't anticipate any problems, especially as I'm determined to go at a relaxed speed.

---------------------------------------------

I would be grateful though if I could trouble someone again, but with something straightforward. I had a good look at the very comprehensive on-screen keyboard commands. I just wondered if this screen can be brought up, during a mission, if you need to consult it, and which key combinations woud you need to use. I couldn't find the command in the very comprehensive list

----------------------------------------------

Many thanks for everyone's help. Earlier today I thought that I would never be able to play DCS, but having been given some very wise counsel from people I think it'll be just fine if I take things slowly, a step at a time.

I really am very grateful.

Thanks again

Martin

Pause the game with 'Esc' in any singleplayer mission and you'll see the option to open the controls menu. This does not work in multiplayer though.

From the shadows of war's past a demon of the air rises from the grave.

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"

I had a good look at the very comprehensive on-screen keyboard commands. I just wondered if this screen can be brought up, during a mission, if you need to consult it, and which key combinations woud you need to use. I couldn't find the command in the very comprehensive list

You can generate an HTML file that contains all the commands.

To do so, from the options / commands menu, click "MAKE HTML" (bottom right).

The file should be opened automatically, you can print it, put it on another computer (tablet), etc.

It will be in folder \Saved Games\DCS\InputLayoutsTxt\A-10C Sim

Be aware that this file is not automatically generated, you need to do it manually (MAKE HTML) everytime you change the controls.

To make sure you generate it properly, you can delete (or move) the old files before.

I was wondering about that, does it save ALL controls for ALL planes or just the current one?

EDIT: Holy cow, now I remember why I never bothered with trying to back up my controls.

The HTML save is only to make a list of your assigned controls for the current plane that can be viewed in a web browser, and it can't be used to restore your controls in game.

The save profile is only to save each separate configuration for each separate controller in each separate plane one at a time. If you load the wrong profile you can't undo it by hitting cancel on the bottom.

Now please excuse me while I redo my F-15 controls... again. furious.gif

Edited by Mar

I was wondering about that, does it save ALL controls for ALL planes or just the current one?

EDIT: Holy cow, now I remember why I never bothered with trying to back up my controls.

The HTML save is only to make a list of your assigned controls for the current plane that can be viewed in a web browser, and it can't be used to restore your controls in game.

The save profile is only to save each separate configuration for each separate controller in each separate plane one at a time. If you load the wrong profile you can't undo it by hitting cancel on the bottom.

Now please excuse me while I redo my F-15 controls... again. furious.gif

Are you using a Stick and Throttle?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

CH Fighterstick, ProThrottle, Pedals, and a fourth virtual device for a couple advanced functions. All four have to be saved separately for each plane.

Thanks for that (you both)

-again!

Given what I said about myself, and publicly, it's also really nice to know the forum hasn't changed. :)

I do have some older Steampunk contraptions that will, in time, make worrying about key presses less relevant, and which I could then update IF it's all going fine. But at the moment, taking people's advice, going slowly, following tutorials, and using keyboard commands, is working for me. I have, from times past, still got a Saitek Cyborg Evo, which is a great little stick for my purposes, and is, when the time comes, programmable to about 40 commands.

I had a CH Hotas set-up at one time. I really so wish I'd given them as a gift to a friend who's still on the forum, and could have used then, but they met with an "accident" before I could do it. When you've had a head clonk, you do some very stupid things. So, this time, easy does it. I'll contact him to say hello as soon as I find myself comfortable.

Incidentally, I do recall the CH throttle was a little large if you had small hands. Anyway, best not talk about kit until I'm ready for it. I can confirm though that a CH hotas setup is (nearly) indestructible. It'll last you a life time.

Even if I ever got proficient enough for multilayer, I wouldn't advise anybody to let me be their wing- man as I might get the urge to shoot them down, for no reason whatsoever! You have a choice, I've found. You either speak openly (without droning on) or hide it. In this context, being honest has resulted in people giving me a huge amount of help.

I REALLY do like this forum. I am also a fountain pen nut, and their forum is the only other I've found that's as friendly.

You've all been great

Thanks again

Martin

I'd definitely agree that compared to most other forums (fora?) on the internet this one is by far the best that I've ever been a member of, and always has been even back to the days of Flanker 2.0

With respect to the game, your macbook looks all set from the hardware specs so you should be fine there.

Again as others have said, much better to take things nice and slow and steady. When I first bought the Mig-21 module I immediately jumped in... And pancaked in to the ground. I then decided to take the methodical approach: I read the manual from cover to cover. Read it again. Did the tutorials multiple times until I was satisfied that I could do each step comfortably without having to pause and think about what I was doing.

This all takes much longer than the jump-in-and-go technique but I find it to be ultimately much more rewarding. Being faced with a number of small learning curves is also much better than hitting one huge one, which can definitely be disheartening.

As others have said, welcome back and if you have any problems or questions I'm sure that everyone will pitch in to help out :)

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

Thanks Darkfire

Thanks for the information about my Macbook - great news! I'm also likely to be getting a small-ish USB 3.0 Solid State External Drive, whatever happens.

Also, thanks for the encouragement. I am following everyone's advice, and one of the things I've discovered is that my android tablet is fantastic for reading really big manuals, keeping key commands on, and so on. So you can, when you're ready for the next step, put your tablet on a stand and have the Youtube tutorial, the manual and the key commands all there in an instant.

Fortunately, though I have (but discovered everyone does!) a mountain to climb, I still remember the nature of flight, aerodynamics, targeting etc. I also have a few bits and bobs to keep me going for quite a long time, while I figure out whether I'm up to it. I have a Saitek Cyborg Evo, which will hold 40 commands (and which I like), and, in time, a TrackIR 3 Pro, which has less of a view angle, but has 6 DOF, and which I found in a box gathering dust!

But that's for the future. Not now. I have learned not to rush, after initial panics, because I can get a kick-back because of some things I mentioned at the start of the thread. But for other people telling ME not to rush, they've been great in saying that THEY have to do the same thing. That is SO good to hear.

Thanks again for the encouragement. And a really good forum. I used to hang around, anonymously, from time to time over the recent years, which meant that I kept up with developments to some extent.

Well, I'd better go off air for a while so I can take my time, and I'm really sorry if I don't reply to other messages from people for a while. I never expected such a helpful, and if I'm honest, such a non-judgemental reaction. I'm grateful for it.

And if anyone wants any advice about fountain pens, don't forget to contact me. Ha!

All the very best

Martin