Loosing your buddy in combat

Kreye

:helpsmilie:

Hey folks,

what I'm asking you is how you guys when you are flying the f-15 or any other fighter aircraft manage to stay with your buddy or keep the situational awareness in terms of where your buddy is during an engagement such as a 2vs2.

My friend and I have flown together since the start Rise of Flight continuing with Clod and BoS. In theese eras we never had problems staying close to help each other out or at least know what the approximate positions of ourselves are.

Here comes the problem:

Since dogfights/engagements in modern Fighters tend to happen at higher speeds and thanks to the weapons longer distances aswell we often find ourselves 40 if not more miles away from each other with no chance of support. :joystick:

What do you guys do to keep track of your friends position and the situation it's self?

Any methods, advice, links to Youtube videos are highly appreciated!

Salute,

Kreye

Your first problem with mutual support is that you should never be that far apart if you're supposed to be flying together. The next is learning to use BRA calls (Bearing, Range, & Altitude) from a point of reference (bullseye/WP). That requires a degree of visualization of the airspace in conjunction with the HSI.

We are allways together until the fighting starts. A particular case is e.g. if one of the enemies runs away and he or myself chase after him because we have a pretty good chance to get the kill while the other is engaged with the other enemy in a dogfight. So the 'chaser' gets dragged away that far.

I hope i could explain the situation a bit better now, as english is not my first language...

Thank you for the advices that you guys already have given me!

We are allways together until the fighting starts. A particular case is e.g. if one of the enemies runs away and he or myself chase after him because we have a pretty good chance to get the kill while the other is engaged with the other enemy in a dogfight. So the 'chaser' gets dragged away that far.

Never, ever leave your wingman. That's all there is with respect to the example you provided.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Never, ever leave your wingman. That's all there is with respect to the example you provided.

So basically that means in this particular situation, that if one of them runs noone of us should chase the runner but the wingman stays close to his buddy that is engaged with the other bandit and support him/ wait for the other bandit to maybe come back and intercept him?

Did I understand that correct?

Yep. That doesn't mean you can't stay locked on to the retreating bandit, make sure he thinks you're chasing him, but stay mil or less and turn to stay in your buddy's general vicinity and search for your buddy visually. If you keep him going for just half a minute he'll gain some 5nm separation from the fight.

@Rage: *Excuse* I was on my tablet and didn't want to search for video :D

So basically that means in this particular situation, that if one of them runs noone of us should chase the runner but the wingman stays close to his buddy that is engaged with the other bandit and support him/ wait for the other bandit to maybe come back and intercept him?

Did I understand that correct?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda