Question on axis saturation

Just wondering - what does the saturation slider in the DCS Axis Tune options do, exactly? :music_whistling:

Thanks.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Just wondering - what does the saturation slider in the DCS Axis Tune options do, exactly? music_whistling.gif

Thanks.

Try it, it's pretty obvious.

Basically the axis tune options transforms joystick values into in-game values.

Saturation Y will limit the maximum value that can be reached in-game.

Saturation X will reduce the joystick value requred to reach maximum in-game value.

ex:

Y 70% means that in-game value will range -70% to 70%

X 45% means that maximum in-game value will be reached at 45% of joystick travel.

in-game-value = MAX(Curve(joystick-value/saturation-X) * saturation-Y, saturation-Y)

Curve(value) transforms the value with constraint that Curve(-1)=-1 and Curve(1)=1

Edited by PiedDroit
  • Like 2

Thanks for the detailed info, PiedDroit!

So what's a good reason for me to set those saturation values up? I am trying to understand when I would use saturation values, and what benefit they might bring me.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks for the detailed info, PiedDroit!

So what's a good reason for me to set those saturation values up? I am trying to understand when I would use saturation values, and what benefit they might bring me.

You're welcome :thumbup:

You might want to use saturation X to create a kind of deadzone at the end of the joystick's range.

Let's say your throttle is a bit wobbly and never goes fully 100%

Or maybe you don't feel comfortable pushing the stick full right so you'd prefer the ingame stick to reach maximum deflection before hitting maximum physical limit.

Saturation Y is used when the maximum deflection in-game is too much for you. For example, a TDC is moving so fast that you can't control it.

Or you don't need full stick range ingame and want to use the maximum physical stick range for better precision.

There is usually no point using both X and Y at the same time as they cancel each other, except for Y that also sets the max in-game value.

Saturation Y and Curvature can both be used to increase precision.

Saturation Y will keep movement linear but will prevent you to reach maximum in-game value.

Curvature will increase precision near the center then precision will decrease to allow reach max value. As such, it is non-linear.

Hope I'm clear :smartass:

Edited by PiedDroit
  • Like 3

That's very useful information, PiedDroit! Thanks for explaining this by including some use-cases for these X and Y saturation values. Going to play with those now! :)

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• 1 year later...

You might want to use saturation X to create a kind of deadzone at the end of the joystick's range.

Let's say your throttle is a bit wobbly and never goes fully 100%

Or maybe you don't feel comfortable pushing the stick full right so you'd prefer the ingame stick to reach maximum deflection before hitting maximum physical limit.

Saturation Y is used when the maximum deflection in-game is too much for you. For example, a TDC is moving so fast that you can't control it.

Or you don't need full stick range ingame and want to use the maximum physical stick range for better precision.

There is usually no point using both X and Y at the same time as they cancel each other, except for Y that also sets the max in-game value.

Saturation Y and Curvature can both be used to increase precision.

Saturation Y will keep movement linear but will prevent you to reach maximum in-game value.

Curvature will increase precision near the center then precision will decrease to allow reach max value. As such, it is non-linear.

Just found this post now, excellent explanation PiedDroit. Thanks a lot !!! :thumbup::thumbup:

• Like 1

Aorus Z390 Extreme MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.0 GHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3600 MHz CL14 DDR4 Ram | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Corsair TX 850M PS | Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe SSD 1TB |TMWH Hotas with VPC WarBRD Base| Corsair Gamer 570x Crystal Case | HP Reverb

• 5 years later...