R3R acting as rear aspect only?

kainhall

so...ive started taking 2 R-60ms on each outer station... and 1 r13m1 with 1 r3r on the inner.

and i use the IR/SARH switch to change between shooting the r13 or the r3r....

however, in the last 5 times in multiplayer, if im ANYTHING but behind him, the r3r does not play the lock tone.

i can press the launch button from max DLZ to Rmin...with my HUD,radar cross on bandit, and 1G...it does not fire.

however, as soon as a merge and manage to keep radar lock threw the loop to get on his 6....BOOOOOO says the seaker head (it plays the r60 lock tone)and i can fire the r3r....

now....with r-60ms being broken....radar is the only all aspect thing we have.....and its currently acting like r13m1 i have on the other wing...

im wondering if the mixed load out is making the computers think the R3R is a heater?

ill go back to 4 r60m, 2 r3r and report back.

Mixed (non-mirrored) loadouts can be sketchy. You said you only switch between these two missiles by flipping the IR/SARH switch. I wouldn't rely on that. I recommend to also use the weapon selector knob to select the specific pylon you want to use (1 or 2) instead of the 1-2 setting. Maybe that works better.

I also use mixed loadouts sometimes, when on multirole missions (bombs on inner pylons and R-3R/R-60M on outer pylons). I always select the pylons individually in that case and had no problems with so far, but the last time I used this loadout is a while back now (last year).

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I recommend to also use the weapon selector knob to select the specific pylon you want to use (1 or 2) instead of the 1-2 setting. Maybe that works better.

Seconded.

The 1-2 Setting might attempt to fire the wrong missile, aquires targeting data from the heater (thus, no lock, no launch authority)...switch to the specific pylon, and you should be fine.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

GCI: "Control to SEAD: Enemy SAM site 190 for 30, cleared to engage"

Striker: "Copy, say Altitude?"

GCI: "....Deck....it´s a SAM site..."

Striker: "Oh...."

Fighter: "Yeah, those pesky russian build, baloon based SAMs."

-Red-Lyfe

Best way to troll DCS community, make an F-16A, see how dedicated the fans really are :thumbup:

The weapon system have one station to launch first when selector is on 1-2, 3-4. I don't know Which one is primary station. Make a test and look which station launch first and then set the payload with IR missile in primary station. Then you should be able to launch IR/SARH missiles on par using 1-2, 3-4 selector together with IR/SARH switch

Edited by pepin1234

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i changed my key bindings....a while ago you could only change between 1-2 or 3-4..... now you can move one notch....either way.

ill try the 1,2,3,4 settings....i was using just 2 R3R the other day, and while i could not get into a head on, they did seem to work a LOT better than having a mixed load out and using the 1-2 setting.

also, my game is updated....i play on the 104th mostly, and i am able to join the server, so i should be good (i see the gazelle and stuff)....unless i need beta branch....

did a test.....4 r 60m on 3-4...a r3r on the left, and an r13m1 on the right inner.....

having a friendly go head on with me....in SARH and 1-2 selected...the r3r would not play tone.

however, when selecting JUST 1 on the rotary.....it did lock.

so 1-2 and 3-4 options require you to have lock with BOTH missles before you can shoot..... you must satify all requiremts of both missles.

however, when selecting only one at a time.....it works just fine.

i think 1-2 and 3-4 were used to fire salvos IRL?

i should say....using 1-2 and IR or SARH to change which missile fires.....that does work

however, both missiles must be in parameters

and, again, using "1 or 2 or 3 or 4" will work just fine.

I'm not quite sure what that means. Does it mean, that if you want to fire the IR-missile with 1-2 selected, you also need to have a radar lock for the SARH missile even though you're not using it? That sounds kinda bugged. I would just stay away from the 1-2 or 3-4 setting when using mixed loads.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

I'm not quite sure what that means. Does it mean, that if you want to fire the IR-missile with 1-2 selected, you also need to have a radar lock for the SARH missile even though you're not using it? That sounds kinda bugged. I would just stay away from the 1-2 or 3-4 setting when using mixed loads.

Is nothing wrong with this. Of course you need radar lock to do it. You only need switch between IR/SARH to hear the lock linked to every different head seeker.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is nothing wrong with this. Of course you need radar lock to do it. You only need switch between IR/SARH to hear the lock linked to every different head seeker.

You shouldn't need radar lock to fire an IR-missile, which is what I was talking about.

Tornado3 small.jpg

You shouldn't need radar lock to fire an IR-missile, which is what I was talking about.

We are not talking about IR missile only. This is about IR/SARH shooting on par. So in this case you need both radar lock and IR seeker lock sound. Switching between IR/SARH you got mix a launch on par using 1-2 selector.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

We are not talking about IR missile only. This is about IR/SARH shooting on par. So in this case you need both radar lock and IR seeker lock sound. Switching between IR/SARH you got mix a launch on par using 1-2 selector.

Oh, I missed that. Well, then it's different of course, thanks.

Tornado3 small.jpg