A10C CDU with Rift

Tic-Tac

Can anyone comment on inputting coordinate entries in the CDU whilst using he Oculus Rift, is it a comfortable experience, with mouse control, head movement etc? I currently use an ipad app for CDU and it's really opened up that aspect of system management for me, am worried if I switched to VR and so lose the ipad interface I might lose that also...any thoughts?

thanks

Hi Tic-Tac I am in the exactly same boat. I used this wonderful CDU ipad app and it was just too convenient. However, I always felt bad, because this was a luxus that real A10C pilots dont have. Since getting the rift, I have to force myself to use the UFC and CDU repeater of the right MFD obviously. Its strange at first, but youre getting used to it, and thats how real pilots do it as well so even better. :)

Thanks both for your feedback! I'm happy with that, I'll start weaning myself of the CDU in anticipation ;) But another question...how about ILS, TCN, or tuning radios? I got used to TrackIR and a certain amount of wobble, and I'm in no way expecting a seamless experience just want to have some confidence that I won;t lose anything major (or at least no surprises) in making the switch before I spend the money.

so true. The head tracking alone in the rift is just too amazing, you cant even remotely compare it with TrackIR.

oh and Tic-Tac, when I first flew the A10 in the rift, I thought this would never work. There is just too many buttons and switches that you can't see with that damn goggle on.

however, there are workarounds! Have a look at VoiceAttack its simply amazing. Also, come up with handy keybinds for your HOTAS. For example, ever tried changing the Altimeter setting while in close formation? A pain!

Real pilot would simply leave the hand on the stick and turn the know without looking.

Well, you can use the paddle switch as modifier and use coolie up/down for altimeter settings. or the numpad keys (that you can find blindly) for preset up/down.

You can come up with any workarounds and bindings that work for you, be creative :)

Then, and imo, only then, a full systems simulater like the hog is viable in the rift

On a related topic, what do you do with the mouse left/right click?

I've mapped the right/left mouse click to the rocker/hat? button on the Throttle in the UI layer?? This works well in other a/c, but on the Hog it means you can't to a lot of the TP/Mav handoffs etc. and I was wondering what you use.

How do you deal with 9 line brief in oculus you cannot take notes as I did with a monitor

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

How do you deal with 9 line brief in oculus you cannot take notes as I did with a monitor

most times I use the infamous nose gap and a pen & pad :music_whistling:

Actually, I did this last night with Dragon's JTAC training mission and I just got the JTAC to repeat the grid as I was entering it into the scratchpad.

Oh - for the mousehweel, I use a modifier and the boat switch.

Edited by Brixmis

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Just posted elsewhere too. Set up the eyepoint controls to your hotas. I have a button box I made with extra toggles... just slide back and the cdu, and all other hard to reach side panels become no problem at all. When done slide back forward or just recenter your view (I do this with VoiceAttack).

Yep, nose gap and an actual pilot kneeboard and 9 lines are no issue.

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Virtual Carrier Strike Group One | Discord