Startup and HSI

Steinsch

Hi,

During the Flanker cold start training mission, the instructors says that we should let at least 3 minutes elapse between turning the electrical power on and actually moving the plane, so that the "gyro of the HSI can align".

As during these three minutes I don't see any needle moving on the HSI, I was wondering if the instructions are still valid, at least in-game.

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

No: a couple of seconds after you have electrical power on, the HSI is good to go. This isn't necessarily true of the hydraulics (after turning on the engines watch the flaps indicator for a couple of minutes) but the spin-up time of the navigational gyros doesn't seem to be simulated.

I'm guessing that in keeping with other Russian aircraft like the Su-25, the real thing has a spin-up time of 3 minutes. That being said I've never seen footage of an Su-27 starting up that didn't already have external power connected, so by the time the pilot has finished his or her engine start check list the gyros are probably already well aligned anyway.

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.