1.5.5.59744 Stutter when looking out the side

Highwayman-Ed

I've experienced this issue on and off with various builds, but I've decided to post up after having conversations with a couple of other Rift users in our flying group that are experiencing exactly the same issues, and 1.5 is currently on the shelf with us because of it.

With this build the performance is lower than recent, and I experience stuttering when looking out the sides of the aircraft (any). Flying the L39 instant free flight is by far the worst experience. Typically it stutters when the mission starts, just looking forward for the first minute or so and then seems to even out, but looking out the side of the aircraft at any time causes regular micro pauses, typically one a second I'd say causing the terrain to 'jump' as it passes by, and this happens in almost any populated area. Flying an Mi-8 at 20ft and 20kts around Kutaisi produces the same result as flying a Mirage at 5000ft and 500kts.

I've tinkered with the DCS settings, and like some of the other posts, it doesn't matter if I have everything set to low with the Pixel Density at 1, I get the same performance as having the settings all on High, sliders to the right and the Pixel Density up at 2.5. The only mod in use is Starways texture pack, but even with this removed using JSGME, we still get the same results.

I don't get this behaviour in 2.0 however, and with the current release (2.0.4.59428), I can fly around Vegas without any issues with the pixel density at 2.5 and all the settings up at High and the sliders all the way to the right.

My system specs are in the signature block, but the machine is pretty good by any standards.

DCS is installed on it's own Samsung Evo 850 SSD that is dedicated to DCS, no AV is running or any other tasks that could be a contributing factor, and other titles work perfectly with my rig.

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...

So after a lot of troubleshooting and trial and error and assistance from AussieM8, we've isolated the cause to be Mirrors. It doesn't matter if the mirror is in view or not, but having them on pretty much cut the frame rate in half in our Rifts, but we did not experience anything like as much of a hit on a Monitor.

Not sure why exactly that the mirrors hurt the FPS when looking 90 degrees out of the cockpit up, down left or right without them in sight, but after exhaustively disabling each option and altering each setting it is 100% the culprit, and is most noticeable in the L-39 and Mi-8 (down to the curved mirrors?), especially in the L-39 Quick Start mission. Happy to report that 1.5.5 is now silky smooth again with them off, please investigate why for us!

Edited by Highwayman-Ed

Intel i9-9900KF @5.2GHz

MSI Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR3200 RAM

MSI RTX 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio

40" Panasonic TH-40DX600U @ 4K

Pimax Vision 8K Plus / Oculus Rift CV1 / HTC Vive

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

Windows 10 64 Bit Home Edition

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]