Dog Fight Instant Action

CrackerJack

I'm sure most people have tried the Instant Action Dog Fight mission.

This mission is at low altitude and not at the Spit's best fighting altitude which is much higher 20Kish according to my understanding. I'm new to this so I could be wrong. I've been finding it difficult to manouver and keep speed up to match that of the opposing 109s. How much of a disadvantage is the Spit at when at low altitudes 10K or less.

I'm also wondering for the experienced piston pilots are you getting easy kills in this mission or is it a challenge?

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

109's ?

Could have sworn they were 190's. The biggest problem I have is trying to keep tabs on the enemy on my tail (VR) while I deal with his mate, before he shoots down my wingman.

The 190's seem to positively beg to be shot down. The biggest concerns are the aforementioned check six (in VR) not burning out the motor (high rpm/low airspeed) and not blacking out from overzealous yanking (but maybe that is a private issue that has nothing to do with flight sims forums)

My only thought about your predicament might be that you should maybe try not to turn directly into your opponent so much, but instead plan ahead and arrange to meet him somewhere more convenient, at a later date. Find out where he's going and then cut him off at the pass, don't just try to put your nose on him, even if it takes a little longer.

Edited by Damocles

Fighting AI is the only time i use labels. I hate labels, i dread them. But if the Ai has infinite situational awareness, energy and simplified engine model and wrecks me with one shoot, well, i am not that masochistic.

I have not had any problems besides seizing the engine on stall. The Spitty flies like a dream!

• Like 1

DCS Discord community - https://discord.gg/U8aqzVT

Isnt the Spitfire modelled in the sim a Mk. IX L.F. where "L.F." means low altitude fighter?

--Maulkin

Windows 10 64-bit - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X @ 3.7 GHz - 32 GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM - EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 - Asus Crosshair VIII Hero motherboard - Samsung EVO Pro 1 TB SSD - TrackIR 4 Pro - Thrustmaster Warthog - Saitek rudder pedals - Lilliput UM-80/C with TM Cougars

^ correct, but its kind of a misnomer as the L.F. IXc (C-wing like we have) has its best performance around 23k feet. with a steady decrease in performance below 20k

a good quote:

"the LF MK IX is a high altitude fighter in a low altitude fighters clothing, it turns better at low altitude, but goes quicker at high altitude."

Edited by Davison