First Huey flight! Lucky landing!

cadete981

Thought I would drop a video of my first Huey flight. It's from the first campaign mission and the video starts on approach(not much exciting before that) advise/constructive comments very welcome. Still new to dcs and Huey is my first chopper but loving the challenge,

Edited by cadete981

Hey you walked away gotta be good.

Just for fun

After a while you'll be able to judge the height above ground pretty much without liiking at the DME when landing. Look at a point and keep that as a reference set the monitor height so that the ground feels about level with your ears (got that from a pilot) after a while you'll be put it on the ground where ever you want just practice practice. The Huey is nice to fly and a good starting point.

not sure of your controls but you might want to add some saturation to make the cyclic a little less sensitive. For me the less I put corrections in to better it flies.

:thumbup:

You might also find this thread interesting as well.

this

Edited by FragBum
Added additional link
  • Like 1

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Hey thanks for the reply, can I ask about saturation? I'm using an x-55 and also have pedals but if I adjust the saturation of my throttle what exactly happens?is it slower to respond? Anyone have a suitable saturation setting for x-55/56.

It is so much fun tho, :D

Ah no don't use saturation on the collective just the cyclic as this what we want to reduce the sensitivity you can of course increase sensitivity when you feel you need to but when you are just starting out you should find it a lot easier to control.

For the collective (you don't really use the throttle in normal flight as such as it's a governed turbine :) ) However to give you better control of the amount of lift aka the attack angle of the main rotor blades and hence control of lift. I use curvature of 27

For the rudder control I have curvature set to -16.

My setup at the moment consists of logitech 3d joy stick for cyclic and the slider on that as the collective and for toque I have saitek combat pedals with situation 32. for me this flies just awesomely. Another thing with the Huey the sound of the rotors and turbine tell me a lot of what the aircraft is doing.

Unfortunately I'm going through withdrawal from DCS as I am away from home for month or so.:(

:thumbup:

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Ah no don't use saturation on the collective just the cyclic as this what we want to reduce the sensitivity you can of course increase sensitivity when you feel you need to but when you are just starting out you should find it a lot easier to control.

For the collective (you don't really use the throttle in normal flight as such as it's a governed turbine :) ) However to give you better control of the amount of lift aka the attack angle of the main rotor blades and hence control of lift. I use curvature of 27

Hey so some more hours in the seat and wanted to let you know you advise was great! I adjusted my curvature of my cyclic to be much less sensitive and the result has been amazing! Going through the campaign missions and just finished number 3 and can land now, hovering is much easier and general flight stability is drastically improved! Thanks alot for your help!

Awesome mate :thumbup:she is such a lovely bird to fly, next listen to the rotors and the turbine it will tell you so much about your flight situation even to the point of avoiding VRS before you get sucked to the ground.

I'm heading back home next week and can't wait to get some more hours on the Huey and Gazelle. If I am really lucky I'll also have my Rift delivered in time as well.

Cheers

Robert. :pilotfly:

Edited by FragBum