Engine cutting out at around 17,000 ft

Davros23

54 minutes ago, Andrimner said:

It sputters, then completely seizes up. Propeller goes totally still

I make sure to keep boost below 8 during normal flight. In combat I go higher, but the last time, I had turned down pitch until I reached about 2 200 rpm, with a low throttle. Didn't check the boost specifically, but as mentioned, throttle was in the lower half. Then I noticed four german planes which seemed like they were closing, so i maxxed out throttle, and increased pitch to about 2 800 rpm. WIthin seconds, the engine stalled.

Sounds like you're killing the engine by having too high boost at low RPM. You can't be maxing out the throttle, this takes you to a boost level that is not within spec, unless you are limited by altitude.  18 psi is the absolute max, and only at 3000 RPM for a few minutes.

Try this: Just leave RPM at 2850. Don't go over 14 psi. It is not optimal but should be good enough to fight the AI and return home. Don't go full throttle.

7 hours ago, PawlaczGMD said:

Sounds like you're killing the engine by having too high boost at low RPM. You can't be maxing out the throttle, this takes you to a boost level that is not within spec, unless you are limited by altitude.  18 psi is the absolute max, and only at 3000 RPM for a few minutes.

Try this: Just leave RPM at 2850. Don't go over 14 psi. It is not optimal but should be good enough to fight the AI and return home. Don't go full throttle.

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. 

If this should happen again, is there a way to restart the engine in-flight?

Make a habit of advancing RPM before you move boost forward so you aren't killing your engine, you will see your temps and pressure shoot right up and then the catastrophic failure will occur otherwise.  It helps to make sure that you also have the engine warmed up a little before take-off (if you are doing cold starts), 3000RPM is strictly reserved for emergency power in combat (and take off) and I wouldn't push a boost past 14  except in dire circumstances and you will want to throttle it back ASAP.  Combat at 2850 with 12 boost is more than feasible for most parts, if you go more, just watch your temps.   

Normal flight - fuel conservation you can sit at 2200 RPM and 2 boost, combat cruising, 2650 and 6 boost you can sit there all day (Spitfire all day that is lol).  Take off is 3000 RPM and 6-8 boost for me (more if carrying bombs).

Edited by Grundar

24 minutes ago, Andrimner said:

Ok, thanks, I'll try that. 

If this should happen again, is there a way to restart the engine in-flight?

By killing the engine, I mean you are overstressing it to the point it blows up internally, so no, you cannot restart it after this kind of failure 🙂 Otherwise, if the engine cuts out briefly for lack of fuel supply, etc., it should self-restart as long as it's spinning.