The Development and History of the Mirage IVA

SageInferno

Ah, I see that the recent arrival of an aircraft across the Channel boosted interest for it in the UK :)

Nice article! :)

Although they share a "family name" and the delta configuration, IV-A and 2000 are completely different beasts.

The IV is an oversized (2 times scale) III.

The 2000 is 2 generations more recent (III - F1 - 2000).

Nevertheless, same company... and tech/mind. For example, the IV was a test bed for the first applications of the FBW tech. It helped later Concorde developpement... and of course laid roots for the later-on 2000's "full" (all axis) / "exclusive" (no mech back-up) FBW tech.

spacer.png

Ah, I see that the recent arrival of an aircraft across the Channel boosted interest for it in the UK :)

Nice article! :)

Although they share a "family name" and the delta configuration, IV-A and 2000 are completely different beasts.

The IV is an oversized (2 times scale) III.

The 2000 is 2 generations more recent (III - F1 - 2000).

Nevertheless, same company... and tech/mind. For example, the IV was a test bed for the first applications of the FBW tech. It helped later Concorde developpement... and of course laid roots for the later-on 2000's "full" (all axis) / "exclusive" (no mech back-up) FBW tech.

I recently saw one Mirage IV at the musée de l'aviation de chasse at Montélimar, that thing is so huge you could fit a 2000 inside :D.

Really impressive to imagine this aircraft a Mach 2 :)

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

If i remember well, the aircraft would accelerate with AB to Mach 1.4, then cut off the AB, and throttle down to avoid exceeding max speed.

The maximum speed was airframe impact temperature.

Mirage IV was meant to sustain Mach 2 for 30mn.

A Concorde British test pilot came in France to train for Mach 2 flight on Mirage IV.

He joked that he spent more time flying at Mach 2 in the week than the rest of the RAF in the year :smilewink:

192601_332374586857780_2051813079_o.jpg

The 2 times scale Mirage 2000 was the Mirage 4000. But it was only build as a prototype and never reached service. :cry:

Edited by jojo

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi