Real weather / time in DCS World

Johnny_Rico

I have created a script that can grab real weather and then put values into a DCS World mission.

I am looking some community feedback

For example if the real weather was full cloud cover at 500m height

would you be happy enough having to deal flying trying to hit targets in such conditions ?

Trials on our server have some being happy and other complaining

How real is too real ?

METAR weather for DCS World missions

Guide to help out new DCS MOOSE Users -> HERE

Havoc Company Dedicated server info Connect IP: 94.23.215.203

SRS enabled - freqs - Main = 243, A2A = 244, A2G = 245

Please contact me HERE if you have any server feedback or METAR issues/requests

Static weather or dynamic weather?

I will look to something similar for DAWS Weather mod (currently discontinued in 1.5.7)

ChromiumDis.png

Author of DSMC, mod to enable scenario persistency and save updated miz file

Stable version & site: https://dsmcfordcs.wordpress.com/

Openbeta: https://github.com/Chromium18/DSMC

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

DCS cannot do dynamic (weather changes as mission progresses)

I change the mission weather before mission start by reading weather from a real airports data

DCS cannot do dynamic (weather changes as mission progresses)

I change the mission weather before mission start by reading weather from a real airports data

And that is almost exaclty what do DAWS Weather. I used a metar.lua file freeware in the net. I had very positive feedbacks... but using static system mean that I had to let the user choose a particoular airport as a reference, and use that values all over the scenery.

Anyway, DCS can do dynamic while for that is not real-time update but localized weather, and it will evolve by itself using cyclone system. At the moment I still don't have a code that is capable to translate some sort of weather data into the correct cyclones code needed for DCS Dynamic weather.

What do you exacly mean by "grab real weather and then put values into a DCS World mission"? Do you use the static system as DAWS Weather or do you use cyclone (dynamic) system?

ChromiumDis.png

The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously.

In this first test iteration I use static system from a supplied airport

I honestly do not understand how the cyclone system works, but might look into it later

ok you did the same as DAWS weather. If you are interested in improving that solution to the cyclone system, I will look into that in the next months and we might get in touch.

Also, if you want to dig a bit in DAWS weather to see if we converted things differently, you will find it in the amvi site or here in the forum, mod section.

ChromiumDis.png

Yes I would like to understand and work out how the cyclone stuff works

Does it take the weather settings and then add to them, or does cyclone over ride everything as in weather tab does nothing when cyclone is enabled ?

Getting the data was not too hard, but tuning it to fit into DCS World ... still tweaking it a bit ... so that people are happy that is another matter

Like my first post asked, how real is too real ? If it is totaly overcast low cloud you can see anything on the ground when flying above it

Also DCS imposes limits eg min cloud thickness is 200m

My system appears to work on v 1.5 and v 2 of DCS World

Edited by Johnny_Rico

Yes I would like to understand and work out how the cyclone stuff works

Does it take the weather settings and then add to them, or does cyclone over ride everything as in weather tab dpes nothing when cyclone is enabled ?

Getting the data was not too hard, but tuning it to fit into DCS World ... still tweaking it a bit ... so that people are happy that is another matter

Like my first post asked, how real is too real ? If it is totaly overcast low cloud you can see anything on the ground when flying above it

Also DCS imposes limits eg min cloud thickness is 200m

My system appears to work on v 1.5 and v 2 of DCS World

There was an old thread about this item on the forums, explaining the weather in details. Maybe it got already archived?

[TABLE][sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]|

[/TABLE]

PS Johnny_Ricol consider that metar clouds height is from airport altitude, while DCS weather code is m asl.

ChromiumDis.png

Thanks I had not considered that, the airport I use is 5M asl

I see that batumi is 32 m

Did you notice how weird clouds are ?

8 = a decent amount of clouds with a lot of clear patches

9 = total could cover

10 = total cloud cover

Seems that the 9 value is a bit too high ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico

Didn't honestly. As daws weather is only an interface between metar and dcs code I didn't focused on cloud coverage limits

ChromiumDis.png

I had a go at changing diff cloud values in editor and then went into DCS to see how they looked when researching this

It is a pity it doesnt match better between metar and DCS

Metar cloud cover in 1/8ths

DCS cloud cover in 1/10ths

I wonder if how it works now is a bug or ommisson ?

Edited by Johnny_Rico