Horizontal Lines/Stripes in Caucasus Mountains

dresoccer4

hey all -

just wanted to report a strange graphical behavior that I hadn't seen before today.

i'm playing in the up to date 2.5 version. mission 2 of the High Stakes campaign. flying through the Caucasus mountains at 6.30am summer time. so the sun is very low and working its way through the peaks.

all of the sudden i noticed many thick horizontal lines/stripes jutting through the distant mountains that had been lit up by the sun. i've been playing DCS for a while and hadn't seen this before. i attached a couple screenshots.they sort of move and fluctuate when i rotate the camera. pretty funky.

is this a known thing?

[ATTACH]179701[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]179702[/ATTACH]

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

i almost crashed!

it made the optical illusion like i was about to run into a ton of power lines. i've literally had nightmares of this happening to me in my cessna :cry:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

Those are what we call "flat shadows". The low sun is casting long shadows on the trees. Those shadows do not conform to the shape of the terrain and are sticking out on the horizontal plane. If you view them from above it looks fine, from bellow... well you can see that. If you set terrain shadows to default and have shadow quality set to low, med or high, the closest trees will have proper shadows that don't stick out like that. However, even on highest setting the trees that are just a tiny bit further away will still do that.

I don't know if ED can make it so that flat shadows are orientated according to the angle of the terrain the object is placed on. Even if they can, that won't 100% eliminate it as it's possible for the trees to be at the top of a hill and then have the shadow stick up off the peak. I don't know how much of a performance impact that would have either. Or it could be that their shadow engine doesn't know how to deal with being viewed from bellow. In the meantime, avoid flying bellow trees during dawn/dusk if it bothers you too much.

• Like 1

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.

i almost crashed!

it made the optical illusion like i was about to run into a ton of power lines. i've literally had nightmares of this happening to me in my cessna :cry:

Funniest post ive read all day :lol: :thumbup:

Regards

DL available skins here:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=Strut

Pictures of my Skins here: https://imgur.com/a/bOQyQqW

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Win10 64bit, Intel® Core i7-5820K CPU OC @ 4.50GHz x6, X99A GAMING PRO CARBON, MSI RTX 2080 TI GAMING X TRIO 11Gb, 32GB DDR4 RAM, SSD 960 EVO250GB, SSD 850 EVO 500GB, JetSeat, MFG Crosswind Pedals, VPC Mongoose T-50, TMWH, DSD ButtonBox, Pimax 5k XR/BE

.... In the meantime, avoid flying bellow trees during dawn/dusk if it bothers you too much.

thanks for the detailed description. i had a feeling it was something to do with the early morning sun angle. does switching off flat shadows have much a performance hit?

Funniest post ive read all day :lol: :thumbup:

whoever invented power lines is a monster. completely unnecessary things in my opinion :poster_ban:

thanks for the detailed description. i had a feeling it was something to do with the early morning sun angle. does switching off flat shadows have much a performance hit?

From my other somewhat incomplete thread:https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3388898#post3388898

- Terrain Shadows

Didn't we just cover this? Nope, this only affects shadows caused by terrain objects.

Off | Flat | Default:

attachment.php?attachmentid=178609&stc=1&d=1518229402

So what's happening here is the shadows caused by buildings and trees is being either forced off, forced to flat or left at the default which is whatever setting you chose for shadows. Basically it's letting you have a lower quality shadow on the terrain while still having nice shadows in the cockpit, aircraft surfaces and other vehicles. Has a big effect on performance. Minor increase in vram that may just be coincidence. After all, 90% of the shadows you will see are terrain shadows. 5% and 20% respectively.

Trees again, and we know what to expect this time:

attachment.php?attachmentid=178610&stc=1&d=1518229402

Massive performance gain dropping to flat shadows and you could hardly tell the difference. 5% and 33% respectively. Lots of shadows... lots of hamsters need to be fed.

Back to a town:

attachment.php?attachmentid=178611&stc=1&d=1518229402

And we see again that the default shadows (which are set to high) are no different than flat shadows. 4% and 10% respectively.

System specs: i7 3820 @4.75Ghz, Asus P9X79LE, EVGA GTX1080SC @2100mhz, 16GB Gskil DDR3 @ 2000mhz, 512GB 960EVO m.2, 2 X 512GB 860EVO SATA3 in RAID0, EVGA Supernova 850W G2, Phantek Entho Luxe White. CPU and GPU custom water-cooled with 420mm rad and lots of Noctua fans.

ASUS PG348Q. VKB Gladiator Pro w/MCG, X-55 throttle and MFG Crosswind.