Help understanding joystick profiles...

I have heard time and time again around here " make your own profile for your flight controls" and this i finally took the time to do.

As i am new to dcs ive had a hard time trying to get to grips with understanding and memorizing all the buttons and switchs... Anyway, i started mapping my throttle and rudder pedals and stick as i worked through tutorials i would pause,program, then save my profile everytime i did this...

Well, today i had a dillemma when playing around with my monitors that i couldnt see the screen to adjust the resolution back...well no big deal, i go into the files and delete the options.lua

Upon doing that i go into game and when i see my controls are gone i click load profile and select my profile and hit ok....nothing...nothing loads.

Im so pissed cause ive been working on this for the past week...whats the point of saving a profile if you cant load it?

When you change your configurations, the changes are stored in by default "C:\users\Your_User_Name\Saved Games"

If that directory is intact, you should see all your mappings. However, DCS more often than not, will randomly add pitch/rudder/throttle to random USB devices. So it's best to back up your SAVED GAMES directory from time to time. Just don't over write the "last good" one with one that's bad.

So I actually keep my "golden" one as a master backup and do periodic backups.

I'm not sure why you options.lua for your monitor would have messed with the saved games directory.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

You might have picked the wrong file. The bindings different than default are saved in *.diff.lua files. They are saved per device (keyboard, joystick, pedals, etc.).

For example I might have Release and Open Beta versions of DCSW but want to use the same control *.diff.lua for both. This example is assuming I made controls in DCSW (release) and want to use them in DCSW (OB).

1. Run DCSW Open Beta

2. Options

3. Controls

4. Ka-50 Sim

5. Select any box in the keyboard controller column

6. Load profile button

7. Navigate to C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\ka-50\keyboard

8. Select Keyboard.diff.lua

9. OK

10. Select any box in the joystickName controller column

11. Load profile button

12. Navigate to C:\Users\username\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\ka-50\joystick\

13. Select joystickName {......00000...}.diff.lua

14. OK

15. Repeat for any other joystick devices in their columns with their joystick named files

Be aware that loading .diff.lua files sets that file path to reference controls even into the future. For example if I change the contents of the .diff.lua I used above, say by changing controls in DCSW (release), those changes would propagate to the other version automatically. It looks to those files for info every time the game is run, not just when you press the load profile button. Usually this is a good thing, any changes are applied to both version after a single action because they are both looking at the same file. But what can happen is a patch change can make the .diff.luas incompatible in which case it is a mistake to reference the same file across versions.

I'm not seeing anything in the