Weird Aim-7 behavior

WelshZeCorgi

Not sure if this is bug, let me know if it isn't

Tried the alert 5 instant action mission, halfway through the fight, my wingman and I lock onto the same target.

I fire a sparrow, and the f-14 camera for some reason switched vid tracking from the mig to the sparrow missile. Not sure why, I was locked onto the mig. But my wingman fired a missile and hit the mig a few seconds before my sparrow reached the target. Now my wingman and the mig were in a vertical climb that peaked around where I was flying nice and level and while they were close to each other, they were still 100-200m apart.

I kept the sparrow locked onto the mig but the sparrow hit my wingman instead. Not sure why, not sure how, but it did.

Is that a bug?

I would show a track, but those are not working at all.

Yes and no. Don't shoot missiles with friendlies nearby, period.

People used to make a thing of carrying 7s because they wouldn't switch to friendlies accidentally like 120s might. That's was great but it was a gamism ...

The reflection of your radar from your buddy aircraft is strong enough for the missile to guide on, and probably other parameters may be choose enough to defeat the missiles ECCM and confuse it. Not that ALL of that is modeled, but the point stands:

Don't be shooting things where your buddies are.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Yes and no. Don't shoot missiles with friendlies nearby, period.

People used to make a thing of carrying 7s because they wouldn't switch to friendlies accidentally like 120s might. That's was great but it was a gamism ...

The reflection of your radar from your buddy aircraft is strong enough for the missile to guide on, and probably other parameters may be choose enough to defeat the missiles ECCM and confuse it. Not that ALL of that is modeled, but the point stands:

Don't be shooting things where your buddies are.

I had a lock on the mig though. The sparrow can ignore that? I wasn't in boresight mode, it was normal not ACM mode.

I had a lock on the mig though. The sparrow can ignore that? I wasn't in boresight mode, it was normal not ACM mode.

Your radar beam spreads out in a cone from the nose of the plane, so it is possible that your wingman was inside the radar beam even though the middle of the beam was aimed at the MiG. The AIM-7 doesn't have any way of knowing whether a radar echo is the one you locked on to- the radar return from the intended target is usually the strongest because the beam gets weaker towards the edges, but sometimes the missile's position might mean it gets a stronger signal from a different target, in which case it will home in on that instead.

It can't ignore the other target that's sitting there. Anyway, a technical analysis could be made of course, but there isn't even a tacview of the event so I couldn't personally judge for sure, but I wouldn't necessarily call it a bug.

Your buddy being 200m away from that mig still cathes a LOT of your radar energy and reflects a bunch of it back, so depending on a few other parameters it might be a valid target for the missile's target tracker.

Your radar beam doesn't end at 1deg or whatever the definition is - the 'beam' is defined by radiated power fall-off - it's a mathematical definition and it doesn't mean the beam ends there.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda