Help creating custom snapview for VR

Gman109

I've been told by an ED/DCS staff person that snapviews work in VR. I've not been able to get one setup though, I'm not real familiar with making them work.

What I'd like is to have a custom snapview I can bind to a HOTAS button, and be able to rotate the head view in the cockpit - not just move it "left right", but actually turn and rotate the head view, so I can get it pointed backwards, and thus be able to actually see wth is happening behind my aircraft while using VR, and then SAVE that spot to a snapview keybind/whatever, and be able to use it instantly while in flight to get my VR point of view pointed close to rearward.. Since in VR our peripheral vision hasn't been modelled by an HMD maker yet, we can't do what real pilots do, which is get the head to around 7/8 or 4/5 oclock, and let our eyes do the rest to see behind us. TrackIR we can set up goofy curves and easily do it, but not in VR, not yet.

Thus, I want a snap view that I can hit/hold, and still have the VR tracking be working when pointed back in that snapview.

If anyone can help me set this up, I'd appreciate it. I've messed with all the snapview KP/etc keys, and all it'll let me do is move my head left/right/up/down/etc, and not rotate, which is what I need. Plus how to save it and make it actually stick.

TYVM in advanace. Sorry to be a DCS noob when it comes to views, but I'd always just stuck with TrackIR and now the VR, but I want to play more multiplayer VR, and not being able to see your 6 well really sucks in PvP and VR, and I want this "sorta" fix in the meantime to work. It works well in another online pvp prop sim I play, really well in fact, negates the TrackIR advantage completely for me.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

The online prop sim you refer to is probably Aces High; I find their VR implementation very good.

Unfortunately in DCS you can save a custom snapview, but in VR only the position of the head will be saved, not its rotation. Therefore no custom snapview will allow you to check six.

Using Steam VR Advanced Settings I have been able to find a way to have a "Linda Blair" snapview in another VR flight sim (see this thread for full explanation). Since it depends on a SteamVR setting it should work also in DCS, but for some reason I was not able to make it work.

Give it a try, you may be luckier...

Thanks for responding Nibbio, at least I know it's not just me not being able to figure this out. Really appreciate it, as I don't want to waste any more time on this if contrary to what I've read on the forum, it's NOT possible. I should link some of the posts I've read about this subject, or maybe I'll PM Skatezilla as he had posted once that this IS possible - I just don't understand how yet.

And yes, you're correct, that was the game I was referring to. I truly wish DCS would allow a similar feature, it very much gives VR pilots an even playing field with TrackIR pilots in PvP, plus for single player, lets you look around behind yourself in flight much, much more comfortably. IMO without a swivel chair (and even then, it's cumbersome as all hell), you cannot look behind your aircraft in VR, again, due to not being able to use your eyes peripheral vision in VR as you can in reality.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I truly wish DCS would allow a similar feature, it very much gives VR pilots an even playing field with TrackIR pilots in PvP, plus for single player, lets you look around behind yourself in flight much, much more comfortably. IMO without a swivel chair (and even then, it's cumbersome as all hell), you cannot look behind your aircraft in VR, again, due to not being able to use your eyes peripheral vision in VR as you can in reality.

I also wish DCS allowed a 6 o'clock snap view. I use a swivel chair, but my warthog is center mounted, so it's not a great help...