Offline updates

cwbalmer

Hi all

Not sure if this has been asked before but I couldnt find any mention of it in most of the forums...

I have the latest version of DCS World installed on my primary PC that is NOT connected to the Internet/Broadband due to where I live - the internet connectivity options are almost zero and the best I can get is via my mobile phone attached to the PC.

I originally installed DCS and the modules using my PC connected up at work where I could easily get a fast connection to download and install...

Now the latest update is about 9Gb and I cant keep taking my PC into work to update it - is there a way you can download the updates and then apply them to the game offline if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

It could easily work with the below method ... there's no actual patch file having to be created or any setup wizard.

For minimal technical changes to be done with the patching system, all the updater needs is to see a USB stick that has the same files a remote http or bittorrent.

For minimal maintenance, this wouldn't need any infrastructure, it would use the same, all you'd need is preferrably a separate utility (or a version of the updater, to do it on a PC without DCS) that would work as the updater does but it would just download and dump latest update onto a USB memory stick.

So I'm not sure if DCS update infrastructure retain older version for public download, so whatever version you have in the months being in the wilderness, when you get to a checkpoint you'd download the latest to the USB stick, and that's it. The updater on DCS side will just need to add support to take data from an offline source, that's the majority of the work, and it shouldn't be that of a chore.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Place your DCS install on usb, take it to work and run updater from the USB.

Copy usb back to home PC ;)

That's one way of doing it, less optimal, the install may not be as proper and may have glitches with the updater but if it plays it's probably a non-issue ... however you'd need a 200 GB USB or SD card if you're big into DCS.

Not sure if the modules on the host PC would need to be authorized or not tho, otherwise you wouldn't get any updates for those so it makes it worthless, but I think not, the updates should work.

It's worth trying first moving the whole DCS install on the PC to a USB stick, taking the USB stick to the other location, don't start DCS just run the updater with "update" command line option so that it never launches DCS at the end of the update, so it'll see as "you have installed these and these modules and here's an update" hopefully. Now you bring it back to the cabin, and overwrite the stuff on the computer with the USB ... it'll ofcourse automatically only transfer the changed files and skip the rest so it shouldn't need to transfer everything, if you do it right.

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

Hi all

Not sure if this has been asked before but I couldnt find any mention of it in most of the forums...

I have the latest version of DCS World installed on my primary PC that is NOT connected to the Internet/Broadband due to where I live - the internet connectivity options are almost zero and the best I can get is via my mobile phone attached to the PC.

I originally installed DCS and the modules using my PC connected up at work where I could easily get a fast connection to download and install...

Now the latest update is about 9Gb and I cant keep taking my PC into work to update it - is there a way you can download the updates and then apply them to the game offline if that makes sense?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

I have the same issue at my place too the way I do it is that I keep a copy of dcs world 2.5 on my work laptop (no need to activate any modules just make sure the modules on ur laptop & pc should match) do as follows:

Go to ur pc dcs base folder & move the download folder (I m not near my pc right now so don't know the exact name but there should be a download folder) to someplace safe incase things go bad

Next make sure u r connected to the internet & start dcs

The updater will tell u there is new version available it will check files & start downloading from the Torrents once the downloading starts cancel the process & any other dialog box it gives

Go back to ur dcs world folder u will see the download folder created again copy this folder on ur pendrive

Go to ur office pc & put the folder which u have copied on the pendrive to the dcs world base directory if it tells to replace the file click OK

Start dcs world 2.5 it will start updating from where u left on ur home pc

Now this is important step

When around 20 to 30 mb is remaining cancel the update & any other dialog box which shows up do not let the updater unpack the torrent files downloaded

Copy this new updated download folder from ur office pc to a pendrive & move the content to the home pc dcs folder

Start dcs world updater it will verify the new files u have downloaded from ur office pc & resume downloading the last 20 to 30mb remaining of the Torrents....

I have tried this multiple times & it has always worked.... Infact when I recently purchased the Normandy & the nttr scenery (22 & 31gb respectively) I did the same thing & it installed flawlessly...

Everytime copying the dcs world installed content to & fro from the pendrive is time consuming (depending on how many modules u have) u just need to keep the home & office version of dcs world updated to the same version before a new update arrives...

Hope this helps... Cheerios

Sent from my ZUK Z2131 using Tapatalk

AMD Ryzen 5 2600, MSI B450 Pro VDH, 32gb DDR4 3000Mhz, Kingston A400 240GB SSD (Boot Drive), Crucial 1TB M.2 SSD (DCS World), Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD, 34" Acer Display + 24" Samsung Display, Virpil Alpha R+Warbrd Base, Virpil Rotor TCS+Alpha L, Virpil CP2+SharKa Panels, Virpil Mongoose CM3 HOTAS, Virpil Ace Interceptor Rudders, Logitech G27 Wheel.

Anyhow the type of community here, while possible to be online, some don't prefer to be living in densly populated areas or just take long hiatus every now and then, I think it's not unreasonable to ask to support such a feature officially in some way.

If I could afford I'd get the heck out of the city to some refreshing hills for a whole month or two, RIGHT NOW!

And for account/paid module validation don't need a fast internet, just a ping with the satellite link or something, once in a while, besides I wouldn't be gaming all day/week/month when I'd be in the wild anyway, so a 3 day offline grace period seems enough already.

The whole always-online thing has it's drawbacks: https://www.fastcompany.com/90358396/that-major-google-outage-meant-some-nest-users-couldnt-unlock-doors-or-use-the-ac

Edited by Worrazen

Wow what a pain in the ass. I think it’d be easier if you guys moved back to civilization.

I've seen civilization - you can keep it. :megalol:

My only internet option is satellite. A grand total of 25 Gb per month with a free period between midnight and 5 AM. If updates take more than five hours I stop the download and restart at midnight.

I7-7700K 4.5 GHz / RTX 2080 Ti / 32Gb RAM / 1Tb 850 Evo SSD / Win10 Pro / TM Warthog / Crosswind Pedals / Odyssey+

• 2 weeks later...

for anyone thats interested I ended copying the entire DCS folder onto a portable SSD drive, took that to work, launched DCS World, ran the updates, downloaded the latest 9Gb patch, went home, copied the folder back and all sorted.

I had to reauthenticate some of my addons on my work computer but thats not a problem, so from now on I will simply run it on the computer at work using the portable SSD drive and then repeat...

The handy thing is that to copy the 144Gb from SSD to SSD only takes about 15 mins so I'm now more than happy!!

Thanks for the hints all!