DCS-BIOS over RS485

Hansolo

Hi all,
I guess, I've figured it out by reading some of Vinc_Vega's posts. This is my first-ever schematic.
Please let me know if it's not right. Thank you.
I've also noticed that many PCBs have large copper ground fills - is this necessary and what is the benefit? Can it not be just nets with the rest of the copper being etched away?
RS485schematic-JF2024-03-28.thumb.png.6ce7d35f82e92490bfcba239a486f44b.png
Why the resistor and the condensator?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G988B mit Tapatalk

33 minutes ago, Rapti said:

Why the resistor and the condensator?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G988B mit Tapatalk

Looks to me like the resistor pulls the enable lines low in case the Arduino doesn't.
The Capacitor (the English name for it) smooths and reduces noise on the power supply.

• Like 1

The pulldown resistor is not required. It has been recommended somewhere here in the forum in case you have problems to receive data (RE low = receiver enabled).

As No1sonuk already wrote, the capacity is to reduce noise in the power supply. It is optional too.

Regards, Vinc

• Like 1

Regards, Vinc

real life: Royal Bavarian Airforce

online: VJS-GermanKnights.de

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Rapti said:

I have now made a diagram of the wiring. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?
I think I have read that there can be problems using an Arduino MEGA as a slave? Is this correct?

RS485_wiring.png

There have been some issues with a Mega as a slave, and yours might be wired incorrectly anyway.
I think you need to use TX0 and RX0 if you're using the Mega as a slave.
You use TX1 and RX1 for the RS485 network on the master because TX0 and RX0 are used for the USB comms.  All the other Arduinos are disconnected from the USB, so TX0 and RX0 are used on those.

23 hours ago, Rapti said:

I have now made a diagram of the wiring. Can anyone confirm that this is correct?
I think I have read that there can be problems using an Arduino MEGA as a slave? Is this correct?

RS485_wiring.png

Here you can find the discussion on how a slave Mega should be connected

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/310930-maximising-the-use-of-arduino-nanos-max-switch-connections-possible/#comment-5083746

You also may have a look into previous RS485 related discussions. I recommend the second layout from that posting

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/208455-dcs-bios-over-rs485/?do=findComment&comment=3926198

Regards, Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Il 29/4/2023 at 12:37, Vinc_Vega ha scritto:

Hi Les,

first impression from here

https://store.arduino.cc/products/arduino-nano-every

They say: pin compatible and code will still work.

I try to get one or two for experiments.

Regards, Vinc

Hi Vinc,
one year from this post, did you have the chance to try those every ? 
I'm having problems with them, same code of a clone nano, uploaded, connected directly to USB
i see the code and also the change of code when i press one switch but in the virtual cockpit it doesn't happen anything ! 
Really weird as they say it's compatible with nano.
Thanks for any suggestion.

@Strale Hi

I decided not to try the Nano Every as I had enough of the "regular" Nanos available and ESP32 modules in several form factors. Anyway, other members reported of unsolved problems. Sorry!

Maybe @lesthegrngo or @outbaxx have more experience with that kind of chips.

Best regards, Vinc

Edited by Vinc_Vega

Regards, Vinc

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]