Warthog HOTAS for WWII aircraft?

default762792

Hi folks, I was all set to replace my aging CH Products rig (which has served me well for many years) with a Warthog HOTAS but then I've seen things here and there suggesting that the stiffness of the stick is actually a detriment for flying DCS WWII aircraft, which I'm currently focused on. Is the stiffness not outweighed by the precision, or is that precision not everything it's cracked up to be? I understand that adding extensions can improve it for warbirds and helicopters but out of the box is it more or less usable for the Spitfire, 190, etc., than the CH Fighterstick? I have looked at the VKB Gunfighter as well but that's a whole other thing. If money were no object I'd buy all of them (and VirPil too but I have other hobbies as well. :)

Thanks for any insights!

It is usuable out of the box. But I had flown with Saitek sticks (X-36 USB, X-45, X-52 Pro) with much weaker/smoother springs for years. So when I first got my Warthog, I benched it in favor of my trusty X-52 Pro. When I built a home simpit based on the F-4 Phantom, I used the Warthog throttle but built a custom stick out of a real F-4 stick and a BU0836X USB board. But I got tired of cleaning the large linear pot needed to support pitch control with the real stick . Rather than engineer a better solution, I swapped in my Warthog with an extension. No more wasting time cleaning the pot with alcohol on a q-tip every night, and 14-bit precision with zero noise. It is a fantastic solution in this form.

But I decided to try a VKB MCG Pro, too. The analog brake lever was appealing to me since I love the MiG-21bis and can also use it for other Russian jets and the Spitfire. If you are looking for light springs with exceptional smoothness and precision, the VKB MCG Pro really delivers.

But I just recently got the Thrustmaster F/A-18C grip, so I have temporarily swapped back to the Warthog. I like the F/A-18C grip a lot. The only real degradation I perceive with the Warthog compared to the MCG Pro besides the loss of analog axis support for controls on the grip (a really nice cursor control thumbstick as well as the brake lever) is the clunky feel near the center. I think this is a design choice to provide really solid centering, but it feels crappy compared to the smoothness of the VKB stick as you cross the center.

But if I had just enough money to get either the Warthog HOTAS or the VKB MCG Pro, I would easily pick the Warthog: for about $350 +/- $50, you get a pretty good stick and a great throttle.

If you were to decide on getting a VKB Gunfighter 2 stick, you should consider the Kosmosima Space Combat Grip (SCG) Pro as well as the MCG Pro. The SCG gives up the brake lever for a twist rudder axis, but otherwise has most of the controls from the MCG Pro, but arranged in a format that is closer to the style and ergonomics of US fighter stick grips.

Of course I am just plain silly, over the years I have accumulated two Warthog HOTAS, the VKB MCG Pro/Gunfighter 2, the standard SCG (not worth it for me to get the pro since I planned to cut it up to fit into a real B-8 stick setup for the F-4), and the F/A-18C grip. After trying out the SCG, I plan to add a stand-along SCG Pro grip to my collection whenever they are in stock.again.

Edited by streakeagle

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

default762792

Since my "casual" joystick is an Gladiator Mk.II (vanilla) with their KG-12A lookalike grip, for more than I like WW planes over jets and find "F-16'ish" grips Aliens for this planes, VKB KG12A grip is very limited, the B2 knopf "morphed" as HAT is very, very awkward for any use.

You are better with Gunfighter + SCG 'Kosmosima' (basic) grip, the difference in prices is relatively small (for standalone grips is $34).