F18 radar problem

kenpoh

Hi all ,im flying in vr and new to F18. i can't see any target in my radar to lock on TDC even there is a lot of planes i can see just ahead of me as i watch a lot of tutorial video about the radar it is suppose to be targets shown in the radar to lock in. my radar just scanning around and never show any target so as im missing something ? ,instead i have to lock the target using ACM, but i need the radar to find my target in a distance pls help.. thanks in advance.

If you slew the TDC over a target and nothing changes, then what you have is an MSI trackfile donated by friendly fighters or the AWACS, over the Link 16 network. This is a contact that has been detected by other assets, but not your own radar. It is represented by a HAFU (Hostile, Ambiguous, Friendly, Unknown) symbol.

If it is detected by your own radar as well, the symbol itself is different. The top half of the HAFU is determined by you and the bottom part of the HAFU is determined by the donor information. You can only lock targets that are detected by your own radar (at least at the moment).

Contacts detected only by you appear as bricks and change to full-size, top-only HAFUs only if you hover over them with the TDC (make them TUC - Target Under Cursor), displaying Mach and altitude information.

Contacts detected by you and other assets appear as full-size, top-and-bottom HAFUs and hostile/unknown contacts are given priority numbers. Making them TUC displays Mach and Altitude information.

Contacts detected by friendly fighters only are shown as full-size, bottom-only HAFUs and making them TUC does nothing.

Contacts detected by the AWACS but not your own radar are shown as small-size full HAFUs.

HAFU type is determined by both the network and your own IFF and/or NCTR results. For a detected contact to be declared hostile on your radar (red diamond HAFU), it needs to be declared hostile by two sources, one of them being you. Both you and at least one other network participant have to interrogate it with an IFF M4 interrogation (SCS Depress) and it has to fail both interrogations.

If there are no donors and you are alone, the two sources are your IFF M4 interrogation and the NCTR print that you get by locking the target in STT, under ~25nm, at an angle (+- 30 degrees aspect) that your radar can scan the pattern of the turbine blades and determine what aircraft it is, via JEM. If the target fails the IFF M4 interrogation and the aircraft type is consistent with the aircraft that the enemy coalition uses (in DCS, this is automatically known), the target will be declared as hostile.

Edited by Harker

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

well it's the radar elevation control too low , I use ( = ) to move up to the center then I see my targets and can lock them but when I restart my sim again the radar elevation drop low again so how am I to reset the elevation control to normal level ?