F-15 flare & AoA

I'm just starting to learn the F-15. Since the landing is the most important part, i'm curious what altitude do you flare in the F-15 and approach AoA.

I got used to the seemingly flareless landings in Jane's F/A-18 with the AoA around 6-7+ i think.

Now i'm just transitioning to an aircraft that needs to flare. :P

or can it be a request? i'd like to watch an Eagle Landing Track made by you Eagle People..:joystick:

I'm just starting to learn the F-15. Since the landing is the most important part, i'm curious what altitude do you flare in the F-15 and approach AoA.

I got used to the seemingly flareless landings in Jane's F/A-18 with the AoA around 6-7+ i think.

Now i'm just transitioning to an aircraft that needs to flare. :P

or can it be a request? i'd like to watch an Eagle Landing Track made by you Eagle People..:joystick:

Flare? you mean FLAPS!? Flare is a countermeasure against IR homing missiles.

use flaps below 200-230 knots, and don't forget about speed vector mark, it's very useful.

No, he means FLARE.

wikipedia: Flare (aviation), the rotation of the aircraft's nose up, used at the final part of landing to arrest the descent rate before touch down.

Do not know about F-15, but as for Su-27, altitude to start to flare is about 10-15m (30-45 feet)

"...Я вижу тебя сквозь сетку прицела,

Сквозь дымку от залпа ракет,

Я вижу тебя пока еще целым -

Винтовку, чалму и бешмет"

No, he means FLARE.

wikipedia: Flare (aviation), the rotation of the aircraft's nose up, used at the final part of landing to arrest the descent rate before touch down.

Do not know about F-15, but as for Su-27, altitude to start to flare is about 10-15m (30-45 feet)

what for using same word for different things (I mean in aviation) :)

The best thing to do is not concentrate on what altitude to flare, rather monitor your descent rate. Make sure you have correct speed and approach angle then apply a delicate flare momentarily before touchdown , but not too much, just enough to cushion the landing.

Interesting question... Why homonyms ?

Not only in aviation ;)

Its all in the context of the sentence.

• Like 1

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Its all in the context of the sentence.

Yup that's basically what i meant.. i know there's also the "Flare" that is used to defend against missiles.

As of now, i'm around 5 degrees AoA on approach then i flare around 50-45ft while reducing to iddle power. Funny thing is that, the aircraft seems to also "flare" itself.. Sometimes the touchdown AoA's too shallow that i bounce back a bit, sometimes too high that my tail almost scrapped the ground.

Ok i have a request then. Can anyone create a track file recording of Eagle Landing? so that i can fully understand. i'm more of a visual type person :)

Avia: Make your aproach on the glideslope at 150kts. Over the threshold, pull the throttle to idle, and you're pretty much okay to flare right then or just a little after. It's all about hitting the glideslope though. In order to prevent yourself from bouncing, deploy the airbrake as you touch down.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

As for me F15 and A10 are the easiest planes in LO.

Yes, with the velocity vector.

The Russian jets are more difficult, but more fun once you learn. I like their ILS system better too.

As for flare, do what GG said. I like to have the break out the entire approach, but whatever. If you're on the glide path (as you should be) throttle to idle, wait half a sec, then pull back (slowly) until you hear the wheels screech. Keep the air-break out. keep the nose up as well, the entire plane will act like an air break. Once the nose cannot stay up anymore, apply the wheel breaks. stop. Tower will tell you to taxi to parking, yada yada yada...

does that help?

DCS Wishlist: 1) FIX THE DAMN RIVERS!!! 2) Spherical or cylindrical panorama view projection. 3) Enhanced input options (action upon button release, etc). 4) Aircraft flight parameter dump upon exit (stick posn, attitude, rates, accel, control volume, control-surface positions, SAS bias, etc). 5) ADS-33 maneuver courses as static objects. 6) Exposed API or exports of trim position and stick force for custom controllers. 7) Select auto multiple audio devices

Yes, with the velocity vector.

The Russian jets are more difficult, but more fun once you learn. I like their ILS system better too.

As for flare, do what GG said. I like to have the break out the entire approach, but whatever. If you're on the glide path (as you should be) throttle to idle, wait half a sec, then pull back (slowly) until you hear the wheels screech. Keep the air-break out. keep the nose up as well, the entire plane will act like an air break. Once the nose cannot stay up anymore, apply the wheel breaks. stop. Tower will tell you to taxi to parking, yada yada yada...

does that help?

I always land this way on Su25. It's the best way to land it without any breaks of gear;)

Depends a lot on how heavy you are.

IF you are carrying 3 tanks and a full combat load, I would recommend around 150-160 kts for touchdown.

IF you are very light 120-130 kts will do fine.

Right now in lockon you can pretty much lock speed at 130 kts, put V-vector indicator on -3 degrees and go take a coffee, the plane will land itself and the gear will practically never break in this game :).

With one exception, the 25T. If you begin by learning how to land it, you can land all other planes with one finger.

S = SPARSE(m,n) abbreviates SPARSE([],[],[],m,n,0). This generates the ultimate sparse matrix, an m-by-n all zero matrix. - Matlab help on 'sparse'

Landing speed, etc.

May be someone can share F-15 flight manual?

"...Я вижу тебя сквозь сетку прицела,

Сквозь дымку от залпа ракет,

Я вижу тебя пока еще целым -

Винтовку, чалму и бешмет"

In lock on, 7-8 deg AOA works pretty good. Any higher than that and the slow speed modelling will screw with you. It's my understanding that the real thing is closer to 10-12 deg, but it's not measured in degrees, it's a different scale that LO does not model.

In lock on, 7-8 deg AOA works pretty good. Any higher than that and the slow speed modelling will screw with you. It's my understanding that the real thing is closer to 10-12 deg, but it's not measured in degrees, it's a different scale that LO does not model.

AFAIK 7-8 deg is how the real F-15 approaches and to flare is at 10-12 deg.

The F-16 is 10-12 deg AoA approach.

The AoA meter appears on the left side of the HUD when you drop your gears in ILS mode.

As Yoda said put your tadpole on the bottom of the runway and keep the best speed that'll give you a 3deg descent rate and a 7-8deg AoA, the speed will change dependent on your weight, just before TD flare to 10-12deg by bringing the FPM upto the top of the RW.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Ok , i think i'm getting it right now.. approaching at 7-8 AoA, and keep it around there.

I seldom look at airspeed indicator anymore and flare around 50 above runway.

Yup the Eagle in Lock on seems to sort of flare itself.. ;)

Thanks for enlighting me a bit. people

• 1 year later...
Ok , i think i'm getting it right now.. approaching at 7-8 AoA, and keep it around there.

I seldom look at airspeed indicator anymore and flare around 50 above runway.

Yup the Eagle in Lock on seems to sort of flare itself.. ;)

Thanks for enlighting me a bit. people

In LO with planes that have SFM, that is all but Su-25T, you can land without looking at any of them instruments at all, you just "feel" its going with about OK speed and about OK angle, its not very picky about those because the landing gear can take quite alot of beating, and it doesnt care if you land with sideslip or not..

Just make sure you dont come in too fast, and that rear tires hit land before nose, and ur good to go.

Very old landing vid i made, here u can see how much room you have for mistakes with them, too fast, sideways and so on and still no probs.

Edited by Grodin

Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity.