Pimax 5K XR Question

chase

Hello friends. So I got myself a new toy.

I'm working my way through all the settings and finding my right set up.

But I'm curious about the settings and which settings are being used in DCS.

Eg. I see there is a section on the PiTool where one can set settings per-game. One of the boxes says use the games settings. However, I can not launch the game from Pitool, even with SteamVr running. I have to start the game manually and then test out the settings.

So being the only way I can run the program is by the DCS Exe file directly, which settings are being used? The Game settings, or PiTool?

PiTool has a PD of 1.25 and DCS pixel density I have set at 1.0. So which one is being used, PiTool of 1.25 or DCS of 1.0?

Really whats the point of having an option to use the games settings, if you can't even launch the game through PiTool? Maybe this has been corrected with a later beta.

Oh by the way, I'm using PiTool Version 1.0.1.180. Is it safe to use the latest version, v249?

I don't see any release notes on it at all. And some say 245 had bricked some Headsets. So I'm a little Leary on updating the PiTool.

Last question for now. It looks like SteamVr has changed their settings, so no more SS. Just select which resolution you want to use. Currently I selected 60 % at 2082 x 2511.

I was reading on a different thread that SteamVr limits the headset max horizontal resolution by default to 4096. you have to modify the maxRecommendedResolution in steamvr config. and set it to 8192.

(\Steam\config\steamvr.vrsettings)"

I've looked at this file, and no where do I see any mention of maxRecommendedResolution anywhere...

Anyway, Hope everyone had a great Christmas.

Thank you.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

updating to the latest Pitool version is recommandable as well updating the firmware of your headset through the newest Pitool version. Forget about the nonsense people in the internet claiming that a Pitool version bricked the headset.

Pitool could be in some cases unstable regarding certain settings in Pitool. It may help, in case you encounter some unstable setting issues, to redo the firmware update of your headset.

Enlarging the maxRecommendedResolution in steamVR is not absolutely needed - it simply enlarges the scale in SteamVR, where you could set a custom resolution. What counts is the resolution you actually have set in SteamVR. A resolution beyond 4096 would be very much, maybe too demanding for DCS in anyway, so a resolution below 4096 is more recommandable.

There a three options to level Supersampling: a) Pitool b) SteamVR c) DCS pixel density

It´s up to you, which path you´re following, there a different opinions which rendering path is preferable respectively more performant than another.

Downsampling with DCS PD -1.5 and then upsampling with Pitool or SteamVR is not recommandable as it induces some workload in the rendering process accompanied with some loss of image information/quality to get finally the same resolution by simply supersampling with one of the three render pathes, while keeping the other two render pathes at default.

Me personally use DCS PD to supersample ( PD 1.1 or 1.2 ) and keep the other two close to default ( Pitool Quality 1.0, SteamVR close to native horizotnal resolution )

The more you upscale the less blurry the image gets in the distant view, but it´s a very performance demanding process. Also the panels of the P5 XR are OLED, as far as I know, which means the effect of blurryness and screendoor might be a bit more present than in the LCD panel versions of the P5K.

For the P5K LCD using 2 x MSAA in DCS reduces the aliasing effects significantly. If you got the impression of strong aliasing it would be recommandable to find a balance in performance between DCS MSAA and supersampling level of the different render pathes.

Here around is a thread titled ´Nvidia inspector settings´ or something like this, which leads to some tips for fine tuning image quality.

To improve the comfort of the headset the Deluxe Audio Strap from HTC could be used for Pimax headset with 3D printed adapters - a very good solution to replace the standard rubber band of the current Pimax headsets.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Hi Dave,

updating to the latest Pitool version is recommandable as well updating the firmware of your headset through the newest Pitool version. Forget about the nonsense people in the internet claiming that a Pitool version bricked the headset.

Pitool could be in some cases unstable regarding certain settings in Pitool. It may help, in case you encounter some unstable setting issues, to redo the firmware update of your headset.

Enlarging the maxRecommendedResolution in steamVR is not absolutely needed - it simply enlarges the scale in SteamVR, where you could set a custom resolution. What counts is the resolution you actually have set in SteamVR. A resolution beyond 4096 would be very much, maybe too demanding for DCS in anyway, so a resolution below 4096 is more recommandable.

There a three options to level Supersampling: a) Pitool b) SteamVR c) DCS pixel density

It´s up to you, which path you´re following, there a different opinions which rendering path is preferable respectively more performant than another.

Downsampling with DCS PD -1.5 and then upsampling with Pitool or SteamVR is not recommandable as it induces some workload in the rendering process accompanied with some loss of image information/quality to get finally the same resolution by simply supersampling with one of the three render pathes, while keeping the other two render pathes at default.

Me personally use DCS PD to supersample ( PD 1.1 or 1.2 ) and keep the other two close to default ( Pitool Quality 1.0, SteamVR close to native horizotnal resolution )

The more you upscale the less blurry the image gets in the distant view, but it´s a very performance demanding process. Also the panels of the P5 XR are OLED, as far as I know, which means the effect of blurryness and screendoor might be a bit more present than in the LCD panel versions of the P5K.

For the P5K LCD using 2 x MSAA in DCS reduces the aliasing effects significantly. If you got the impression of strong aliasing it would be recommandable to find a balance in performance between DCS MSAA and supersampling level of the different render pathes.

Here around is a thread titled ´Nvidia inspector settings´ or something like this, which leads to some tips for fine tuning image quality.

To improve the comfort of the headset the Deluxe Audio Strap from HTC could be used for Pimax headset with 3D printed adapters - a very good solution to replace the standard rubber band of the current Pimax headsets.

" personally use DCS PD to supersample ( PD 1.1 or 1.2 ) and keep the other two close to default ( Pitool Quality 1.0, SteamVR close to native horizotnal resolution )"

That's a good idea. I will use dcs PD to adjust that option and leave pitool alibe.

Thats also a great idea about the head strap. The flimsy thing they give us is not very goid for a $800 headset lol.

Thank you for taking the time to really detail these options.

Happy New Year!

Dave

Hey Mr Voight. I found the solution which had been discussed on other threads.

I figured it out finally after hours of research. But now i have perfect resolution! It's amazing. I can see clearly for miles!. So this is what i found out.

SteamVr's max horizontal resolution by default is 4096, you have to modify the "maxRecommendedResolution" in steamvr config. And Set it to 8192. Which is the Pimax max. .So Steam Vr was throttling back my optics because steam vr only cares about the index being the index only renders at 4096!.

- find the cfg file here and open with notepad.

(Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\resources\settings) set "maxRecommendedResolution" to 8192.

Once i edited this config it was like holy crap. I can see for ever. My FPS was not affected either which is strange but okay.

I don´t think, that you´ve increased the render resolution or image quality by editing maxRecommendedResolution in the steamvr config file.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

I don´t think, that you´ve increased the render resolution or image quality by editing maxRecommendedResolution in the steamvr config file.

Well whatever that edit does, makes a huge impact on resolution. Before this edit, i could only have a crisp image inside the cockpit, now everything outsude the cockpit, ( the world ) is high res. Just back up the file and give it a try, you may he pleasantly surprised: ). It really didn't affect my FPS at all. I also downloaded the current version of PiTool, v249 and that provided a firmware update which really helped with the load screen flashing.

Hi Dave.

Is the Pimax your first VR? if not, how does it compare to other offerings you may be familiar with?

I’m wanting to upgrade my SO+ for a higher res OLED, wondering if the new PIMAX might be it.

Thanks.

John

Asus ROG C6H | AMD Ryzen 3600 @ 4.2Ghz | Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce WB 1080ti | 32Gb Crucial DDR4/3600 | 2Tb Intel NVMe drive | Samsung Odyssey+ VR | Thrustmaster Warthog | Saitek pedals | Custom geothermal cooling loop with a homemade 40' copper heat exchanger 35' in the ground

Hi Dave.

Is the Pimax your first VR? if not, how does it compare to other offerings you may be familiar with?

I’m wanting to upgrade my SO+ for a higher res OLED, wondering if the new PIMAX might be it.

Thanks.

John

This is my 2nd HMD. My 1st was the CV1. So i guess anything would of been an improvement. But once i got all the settings dailed in, it was a huge difference compaired to the Oculus. I purchase the Pimax mainly for the FOV. The XR unit with OLED has a noticeable SDE. I've never tested the 5K+ but from what ive read its a tad more clear with less sde. My friends have the HP reverb and they love it. The clarity on the reverb is possibly the best all around. Pretty much no sde. I almost purchased the reverb, but they were complaining about the hmd blacking out after a while due to over heating. My pimax has not done that at all. So for aviation and daytime flying I'd have to say 5k+. A cheaper and probably better all around unit would maybe be the reverb if they can get the unit to stop shutting down on them. Also check your ipd. The pimax is best for thise people with normal eye spacing, around 64 or so. People with narrow field of view have problem with pimax huge display. You will want a strong card for large fov. I have just a GTX1080 and small fov is what i have to use to get the clarity and fps just right. Good luck.