Mission: Midnight train to Georgia JTAC has nothing to do

Worrazen

So in this mission, I contacted JTAC and the first thing he said, "no further tasking" or something, "you may depart" right off the bat when I was approaching "WP4", so there's like no targets before I even started getting there, so this seems like a bug.

Briefing does not list any threats, not sure if that's part of fog of war or what but it feels off, once I get close to Tskhinvali I get fired on by what seem to be MANPADs, but there was once when a missile warning came up but it could have been friendlies, tho there's nothing on the AWACS view whatsoever, missiles don't show up either.

EDIT: I saw a note in another mission, Overwatch, saying that "Although JTAC may tell you no further tasking available, you may depart, that may change as new targets are detected" ... well I kept pressing and asking for a long time, does that mean I just wasn't idling for long enough, or would I have to actually discover the targets myself with the TGP first? I suppose others are detecting that, SEAD planes, other friendlies and ofcourse the JTAC group it self, but perhaps it's also player too?

Edited by Worrazen

Modules: A-10C I/II, F/A-18C, Mig-21Bis, M-2000C, AJS-37, Spitfire LF Mk. IX, P-47, FC3, SC, CA, WW2AP, CE2. Terrains: NTTR, Normandy, Persian Gulf, Syria

So in this mission, I contacted JTAC and the first thing he said, "no further tasking" or something, "you may depart" right off the bat when I was approaching "WP4", so there's like no targets before I even started getting there, so this seems like a bug.

EDIT: I saw a note in another mission, Overwatch, saying that "Although JTAC may tell you no further tasking available, you may depart, that may change as new targets are detected" ... well I kept pressing and asking for a long time, does that mean I just wasn't idling for long enough, or would I have to actually discover the targets myself with the TGP first? I suppose others are detecting that, SEAD planes, other friendlies and ofcourse the JTAC group it self, but perhaps it's also player too?

Looking into the issue:

1. The issue is with the Line of sight (LOS) not highlighting when correctly within parameters and no possible way of being blocked by terrain, trees, etc.
  2. In the mission "Midnight train to Georgia" the AFAC is an aircraft at 5000m in the air so there is no obstruction to targets, However the distance that it is from the target (Over 20km) could also be to far.
  3. I have an edited version of that mission that I fixed in DCSW v1.2.16 years ago by moving the AFAC aircraft closer to the targets (Within the default <5km range) and it works perfectly fine with JTAC calls and targeting and shows no issues with LOS warnings. Port that mission into DCSW v2.5.x and it instantly shows all red warnings on LOS in the AFAC targeting commands, but fly the mission and the JTAC calls still work correctly and allocate targets to you.
  4. The mission your playing and most likely all the A-10c Single missions are going to be broken in some way, I know because I fixed them years ago.
  5. Can't commit to a time frame to fix them as they need even more work to correct the DCSW 2.5 map changes with trees in way and multi language additions.
  6. About other JTAC missions, some have the unit in position straight away, so you can call them before even leaving the runway, other have the aircraft flying to the Area of Ops, so they will not be transmitting targets until they get there. The JTAC (Ground Units) or AFAC (Aircraft) doesn't use or need reports from other aircraft or AWACS to operate, they are a standalone unit with the ability to find and designate targets themselves or in the ME you can specify what targets you wish designated and by what means, WP, Laser, IR pointer.

UPDATE: Fixed versions of all A-10C Single missions available here now:

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=518&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=Maddog-IC&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

May have some new issues under DCS 2.56 as they broke a lot of things with that patch.

Regards, Ian.

Edited by MadDog-IC
Have completely corrected all the A-10c single missions for DCS 2.55x

Asus p877v-pro, Intel I7 3770k 4.2ghz, 32gb Ripjaw X ram, Nvidia RTX-2070 Super, Samsung 32" TV, Saitek x52 pro Joystick and Combat rudder pedals, TrackIR 5, Win8.1 x64 with SSD and SSHD protected by (Avast AV).

DCS Tech Support.