Ace wannabe needs help with dogfighting basics

sthompson

I've been flying the P-51 training missions and did most of the A2G missions in the included campaign successfully. I"m trying to move on to dogfighting and really struggling. Seems like I'm constantly stalling or experiencing uncontrolled rolls while maneuvering. The Mustang seems to not give much in the way of clues that I'm too close to the edge of control. Any tips would be appreciated as well as any tips about ACM in this bird. The only time I've gotten hits on a rival is in a furball where the AI are going at it and I manage to get behind someone who is trying to evade another pilot. Have not tried MP yet. Thought that could be a disaster since I can't seem to shoot down an "Average" opponent 1v1.

My sense from watching videos is that people go into the merge at max RPMs and MP. I've been doing that. I've also tried using two notches of flaps when I get into a turning fight. And I've set a good bit of curves in my controls, which helped. But still struggling.:dunno:

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

reduce your fuel level...stay fast...turn slower to stay faster. use engine power to climb and cool the engine during descent. Staying fast keeps engine cool so you can use more power. Watch your engine heat constantly when dog fighting. Never use flaps. If you slow down enough for flaps you are too slow and flaps make it worse. If your wing tips you are turning too fast for you speed and making things worse. Learn the Spil-S to escape from an enemy on your tail. Then stay fast and turn slow to get some distance before you re-engage them. The P-51 is the hardest WWII plane to win a dogfight in. Once it gets slow it takes too long to speed back up compared to the other lighter aircraft. Only hope is to stay fast and get behind someone when you have speed and a cool engine and can accelerate more than them.

Make sure to set some joystick curves on your pitch axis. This will make the Pony easier to control. It has a very narrow angle of attack and is very easy to snap roll. Increasing the stick curve should help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same stuff the others have said;

It is best at high altitude and high speed. Unless you are in a 1 vs 1 you must adhere to boom and zoom rules.

Open the radiator and oil cooler inlets. This actually costs a few MPH of speed but keeps you running cool, which allows you to push the engine.

In 1 vs 1 you can turn with the FW's as long as you don't give them an energy advantage. The BF-109 special K, is a different story. Don't get into a turn fight with it. Don't do it.

If you can keep the canopy frame in your view, you should see the vibration indicating an oncoming stall. If it keeps happening you may need stick curves unless you fly with an extended (to the floor) stick.

Unless your trying to cross the map reduce fuel. The Mustang has long legs. Try 40% or less.

Good Luck