seeking advice vs F-14/Aim54

dooom

So i came back to DCS after a long hiatus and have been reacquainting myself with the F-18.

As I have navigated back into Multiplayer online I have been finding myself incredibly frustrated flying against the F-14 and the long arm of the pitbull Aim-54.

I am generally flying on Growling Sidewinders server and am using my SA page / AWACS to try and keep awareness up. I hate flying low but unfortunately I find flying at altitude does not really give me any options against the phoenix. I usually get the pitbull RWR alert and then - boom - dead.:joystick:

What advice do folks have in trying to tactically fly in AO with the F14/aim 54? It feels insurmountable at the moment.:crash:

Thanks for any/all advice.:helpsmilie:

S!

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

Don't fly head on to F-14 nails.

Visually acquire launches and react according, just be warned the missile will always come for you because of persistent INS bug.

Missiles are readily chaffed and notched as opposed to 120C.

Give him something to work with, 120C has good range now up high.

The more you unsettle him the more you reduce his SA.

"[51☭] FROSTIE" #55

51st PVO "BISONS"

Fastest MiG pilot in the world - TCR'10

https://100kiap.org

Ideally you bring a wingman or three so that you can execute more complex tactics. Much like we used to do when we flew on DoW ;).

Assuming you're rolling solo, I would recommend trying to get a beam/stern conversion intercept. Take an offset and see if the bandit reacts. If he doesn't, increase the offset to generate a good bit of separation, and then cut back in to intercept him from the side/rear. And always be watching the bandit's aspect so if he starts to react and come for you, you can fire on him first and force him defensive.

Flying high is good to build SA (don't contrail though).

But once you get a launch warning or suspect/assume a missile is on the way, take it to the hard deck. There is a huge difference between high and low altitude when it comes to defeating a missile.

Air is much denser down low so that gives you more maneuverability while at the same time, increases drag and forces the missile to bleed off much more speed when maneuvering. Unlike you, the missile has limited energy and no refill option so if you make it work constantly, it will become slower than your jet.

Try also to make it hit the ground, going behind a hill is one way but I personnaly prefer going up and down, it works almost every time because the missile always tries to pull lead on you and it works on flat terrain too.

My 2 cents. Good Luck.

banner_discordBannerDimensions_500w.jpg

Situational Awareness: https://sa-sim.com/ | The Air Combat Dojo: https://discord.gg/Rz77eFj