Looking for a decent chair

Cooter

So I recently picked up a very nice leather Volkswagen car seat, I'd been searching in my local "used classified ads" website (ebay's Kijiji specifically), it came from a Passat that was maybe 5 years old or less. Looks and feels brand new. The previous owner, who took it out of car. had it mounted on wood 2x4's to use as a basement chair. It cost me less than $120 CAD , so about $95 USD. And there's no fatigue after hours of sitting. Not only that, but you have a good decent adjustment for the tilt angle. It looks as good or better than any "gaming chair", is a fraction the cost, and will be comfortable and last for probably 2 decades before it gets junked.

Now I just have to figure out if I want wheels on it, caster wheels or fixed, and how I could adjust the height. I'm thinking of wheels similar to dolly casters but that are in one fixed direction no steering, just backwards and forwards. One Direction. Maybe with a handbrake. This way, I can quickly back up to easily get out of the chair without knocking sticks and HOTAS hardware, but when I return, it returns to exactly the same position, so that controls and Track IR doesn't need to be reset. Not sure how I'll do the handbrake, but there might already be a product for that.

Edited by Rick50

• 1 year later...

Well, to reiterate, automotive seats, I have found that anything modern, that I've experienced,  is actually comfortable for 12+ hours, day in day out. I'm sure there might be exceptions, but that's been my experience.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 7:41 PM, daniellechams said:

Working from home means I need a new chair for longer hours at my personal desk. No more fancy corporate cushions for me. Who here knows what’s up with where to put a butt so the spine stays aligned.

I’ve looked at Herman Miller and Håg Capisco chairs all the way down to kneeling hippie devices.

Where’s the sweet spot for price? What’s worked for you? Where the heck can I try a $1,000 chair before buying one, or do I have to just roll the dice?

So, considering my post you responded to was from 2020, I've since splashed out.

Ended by buying a Herman Miller Mirra 2. It worked about $1000, which is very expensive, but I wanted new + 12 year warranty and had a bonus to spend to ease the pain.

If it wasn't for the bonus, I'd have picked up a used one from an office clearing company for about half the price, as some of my colleages and friends have done. That's the route I'd recommend. Some places will let you test the chair out too.

Edited by Buzzles

I bought a mesh office chair with wheels, keeps your ass nice an cool and I can sit in it for hours.

now the mildly interesting part : I bought wheels with brakes on em. 5 bucks a piece, so you can use the rudder without sliding back. Maybe handy for people that have the wooden floor + office chair combo.