Col.Boyd's E-M fighter theory and PST

Which is exactly why they got shot down when meeting in the sky in equal numbers ... oh wait ...

There even were NO equal numbers on paper!

If you want to believe that an air force would keep 95% of his fighters grounded to give a couple of wacky F-15 pilots a fair fight then believe it but don’t try to convince others!

If you mean Mig-29A or Mig-29C/G with useless old Alamos or without R-77 indeed they would have no chance 1on1 too if the fight would be in equal setup. F-15C is of course a superior class with bigger and stronger radar call it class A (same class as Su-27) Mig29 is class B (same class F-16/F-18/Mirage…)

The point stay: The Mig-29 had no fair chance yet to prove his capabilities in real combat… ;)

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |

Though Boyd is generally credited with Em theory in the modern era it dates back into the early years of WWII. Though Boyd developed and advanced and quantified the theory well beyond these early efforts. Rutowski should not be forgotten either countless cold war pilots used his technique for energy climb methods. A simple means to get yourself to a specific Energy state (Mach & altitude) in the most efficient manner.

The earliest "Fan Plot" or in US terms "Dog House" plot I have found is one from 1940 comparing the Spitfire I and Me109E3 sustained and instantaneous turn performance. All the same features of a modern fan plot are there other than a slight change in terminology. Ps=0 being quaintly described as "Angle of straight climb"

spit109turn.gif

The USN also published a series of Fan plots in its study on the Buffalo with respect to the effect of Flap on sustained turn rates, also published in the early 40s.

bufffan.jpg

There are also numerous "Energy height" diagrams in ME262 performance documents.

As to preventing reverse or backflow snuffing a jet engine you don't need louvres or bleed doors just good engine management systems, the Hornet tailslides quite happily in full burner.

On the the subject of drawing conclusions from the tiny number of engagements between the Russian and US fighters ,as Boneski said in a previous post it doesn't just come down to individual aeroplane versus aeroplane but the complete Air Force systems of both sides. So far in all the documented engagements its really been a one sided affair with a dramatically superior (both in numbers and training) western Air force against a relatively minor and poorly trained foe. Hardly the best environment to be drawing fundamental conclusions on.

Rep inbound…

Great info.

DELL Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 940 2,93 GHz @3 GHz, 8 MB cache | 8.192 MB 1.067 MHz Tri Channel DDR3

| 512 MB ATI® Radeon™ 4850 | 500 GB 7200 rpm Serial ATA | Samsung SM 2693 HM 25.5 " | HOTAS Cougar Thrustmaster |