Enhanced briefing options

Spearzone

It would be great to see some enhanced briefing options when creating own missions. Similar to a powerpoint presentation so that you can add a text underneath each image that you add to your briefing.

This way you could add comments to each image in your briefing and either explain a mission chronlogically or split for seperate groups that participate in the mission, show seperate routes or maybe just add some explanatory text to images that show targets.

Edited by Spearzone

what is wrong with the tools we have now to make a briefing?

you could all ways photo shop or use MS paint to add your captions to your image before adding them to the briefing. you just need to put in the effort to make a good briefing

if you looking for some help might i recommend

https://www.combatflite.com/

you can get some good briefing and kneeboars out if it too bad it dose not get updated very often since basically a mission editor with some awesome extra functionality

Thanks for your advice regarding combatflite ! :thumbup:

I actually use it a lot , also to create briefings together with photoshop.

However I ended up doing some PDF or PPT briefings many times for complex missions requiring a coordinated and well time execution for several flights.

As a mission designer it's always easy to understand what should be done when , but I am looking for a way to present this to users in the game without having to rely on PDFs and other briefing sources.

Having a long text with Timings, frequencies, callsigns and so on without a direct relation to the individual images that you provide often makes it hard to understand the actual plan behind a mission for others.

I think it would be an enhancement for users to click through the briefing and see the details without having to refer to an external PDF file.

So I am simply hoping for a way to make complex briefings more user friendly ..... that's it.

[some examples of my briefing images and kneeboards i made so far .... I would simply like to be able to provide some more explanation to each image during the in game briefing]

Overview_new.thumb.png.4386a63a8f7704ff0c013eba72134ae7.png

C_M1_KB0_OK.thumb.png.c25e771774bc8271c51838bec678172a.png

C_M1_KB5_OK.thumb.png.c8332445d80c39d8b8dc64ed8d24139d.png

KB_3.thumb.png.062448084c6cffe0dc297716dacfa673.png

OVERVIEW.thumb.png.6f065dfee2b38d4597371bc54a54c64a.png

Edited by Spearzone

Nope, all I am talking about is having the option to break the briefing text you provide up , so you can provide part of it while clicking through the images to make it easier to understand and to visualize part of the explanation text.

We now have a block of text and a seperate block of pictures.

Why not just combine both and provide pictures with some text underneath of it. It's a more effective way in passing information. :smilewink:

Also sometimes it may be interesting to provide info in a format that's not overwhelming for new users.

(BTW : The pictures above were not all from the same mission)

Edited by Spearzone

Nope, all I am talking about is having the option to break the briefing text you provide up , so you can provide part of it while clicking through the images to make it easier to understand and to visualize part of the explanation text.

We now have a block of text and a seperate block of pictures.

Why not just combine both and provide pictures with some text underneath of it. It's a more effective way in passing information. :smilewink:

hmm that could be useful

(BTW : The pictures above were not all from the same mission)

yep

those mission are no more completed than you go take out that sam

then you bomb that thing

and you make sure the the bad guy jets dont kill your jets

add some coordination and timing to make sure SEAD goes in first or just before the strike and the CAP dose not burn all there fuel before the other guys are ready or fly over an SA-11 do to target fixation

Also sometimes it may be interesting to provide info in a format that's not overwhelming for new users.

i know what you mean a year ago some one ask me to help them with their pattern work in the A10C a 30-45 min tops

the guy had no head tracking, did not know how to set up his HSI yard stick, could not fly level with out autopilot, had no way to quickly trim the jet, had zero clue about 3 deg glide slope, or on speed flying

im like FML what did i get my self into

2hr later he can now land straight in

yep

those mission are no more completed than you go take out that sam

then you bomb that thing

and you make sure the the bad guy jets dont kill your jets

add some coordination and timing to make sure SEAD goes in first or just before the strike and the CAP dose not burn all there fuel before the other guys are ready or fly over an SA-11 do to target fixation

Well, this makes me think an enhanced briefing would really be useful. A lot of guessing and speculation in there. ;)

i know what you mean a year ago some one ask me to help them with their pattern work in the A10C a 30-45 min tops

the guy had no head tracking, did not know how to set up his HSI yard stick, could not fly level with out autopilot, had no way to quickly trim the jet, had zero clue about 3 deg glide slope, or on speed flying

im like FML what did i get my self into

2hr later he can now land straight in

.... maybe you don't really know what I mean.

I have total respect for all new and completely unexperienced users.

All I am asking for is to offer us a way for a more structured and detailed briefing that is easy to follow and understand both for experienced and unexperienced DCS simmers.

I am refering to the structure of the briefing.

How would you prefer to be briefed in real life : Someone who throws a bunch of papers on your table and says : Read this , thereafter he gives you a bunch of maps and photos and you have to sort out by yourself how things come together OR maybe it would be nicer to have someone standing in front of you , showing pictures and maps in a clear context , explaining how and when things are planned, highlighting things you need to focus on .......

:pilotfly:

Well, this makes me think an enhanced briefing would really be useful. A lot of guessing and speculation in there. ;)

true the assumption i made was based on passed experience and information given. more info would better prepare everyone for the mission

I have total respect for all new and completely unexperienced users.

dont get me wrong if i had no respect for new users i would of told him to "get gud", RTFM, and google a guide, not spend 2hr of my flight time to train him. he had no ground school knowledge of the basics and had to adjust the lesson plan many times on the fly. this was more like i told him the reduce throttle to get on the 3deg glide slope and he reply's with what is that? now how do i explain 3deg glide slope and have him fly it in like 15sec

I am refering to the structure of the briefing.

How would you prefer to be briefed in real life : Someone who throws a bunch of papers on your table and says : Read this , thereafter he gives you a bunch of maps and photos and you have to sort out by yourself how things come together

sounds like my day job. except i would have to find all the errors and give the briefing

OR maybe it would be nicer to have someone standing in front of you , showing pictures and maps in a clear context , explaining how and when things are planned, highlighting things you need to focus on .......

:pilotfly:

ideally i would give the pilots the briefing package a day or two early for them to review, ask questions, find errors. the before flight briefing should be at least in my mind should be roll call make sure every one is there, general overview, go over every ones responsibility's, mission priority's, contingency actions.

are you trying to cram all that in the in game briefing?

...are you trying to cram all that in the in game briefing?

In a condensed form, yes.

Just read my first post ..... all I'm asking for is the possibility to add explanations to your images.

Right now we have two seperate parts in the briefing :

Text only and Images only