my new ride

leafer

It's an early 1980s Yamaha RX-S, 125cc, Two-Stroke engine. I spent roughly a year, on and off; depending on my flow juice $$$, tinkering with it. I did almost everything myself - yes, the "crappy" paint job is my work of art. lol

Let's see...engine runs rough at times and no one seems to have a clue why. Took it to four, yes, four mechanics and each time they would say it was the carb but, obviously, that wasn't it since the engine still runs rough. And it hesitates if I really punched it, like it's not getting enough gas. Some mornings it started right away, other times it takes about 50 millions kicks before it goes vroom. Sigh...I'm at a lost here.

I wish I had the cash to take it to a custom shop so they can work their magic on it, but oh well... Oh, the credit on the terrible welding job on the exhaust goes to my neighbor's friend's cousin. lol

Needless to say, I was and still is very disappointed at how it turned out. But just when I thought it couldn't get any worst, yesterday, some prick stole my left rear shock and left rear signal light. Mother....FFF!!! I tell ya, man...the shock cost me 48 dollars each, I know that doesn't sound like much but it's a lot to me. So now it's just sitting here because it'll take me a while to save up for a new one.

On top of everything else, it's a huge blow to my enthusiasm and morale and I honestly thought about giving up on the bike, and shelving the project I spent a year restoring. But this morning I woke up feeling better, so, I'm thinking about stripping the whole thing again and starting from scratch. Gonna save some money and have a professional repaint it this time then goes from there.

And here it is... lol

DSCN2665.thumb.JPG.5b3650108c7f0a636a545eab636cd76d.JPG

DSCN2660.thumb.JPG.b703daed3bbf239c9580c31d25bf7ef1.JPG

DSCN2659.thumb.JPG.ab19dadb72c12559f84f77cc84c5575c.JPG

DSCN2661.thumb.JPG.929253b7356e23b83f707836710ff0bc.JPG

• Like 1

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

well now let me see...

S~ Leafer,

I'm no mechanic, and I don't ride bikes, but simple things are often the root of problems. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Is the fuel pump working ok? Air filter clean? Running the right plugs at the right gap? These are things you could check yourself, maybe. You need to get that bike running so you'll feel better!

Flyby out

The U.S. Congress is the best governing body that BIG money can buy. :cry:

S~ Leafer,

I'm no mechanic, and I don't ride bikes, but simple things are often the root of problems. When was the last time the fuel filter was changed? Is the fuel pump working ok? Air filter clean? Running the right plugs at the right gap? These are things you could check yourself, maybe. You need to get that bike running so you'll feel better!

Flyby out

First of all Fly,its a mono-cilinder,2nd it has no electronic ignition but a mechanical that ,drives an ignitioncoil(that could be broken or you could check the "platine"(dont know the word in english) and 3rd it has no fuel-pump,the carburator works on the Bernoulli's principle, so those couldn't be those of the above :smilewink:

I would trying to change sparkplug it helped me when i had the same trouble with my TD125,but that was like 20 years ago :music_whistling:.

To Leafer,the carb of the 2-stroke isn't that hard to do by yourself,no need to bring to a mechanic,commes togheter the same way as you strip it,really not that many parts,my probs were always or the sparkplug or the carburator,really really not that hard mechanical peace of equipment.

I worked on my bike myself when i was 13 yrs old after ,i got it for doing good in school,my father thougt he had me with my balls because the backwheel was rusted locked,it wouldn't start eather,i grabbed my currage togheter and started working on it and voila after some hours fideling i had it up and running busting my fathers balls ofcourse..............so the red line in this story "what really happend" its not that hard to work on yourself and could save you alot of dineros if you catch my drift,the only part that could give you a headace is tuning the carburator,getting the right mixture could take you some time.

this was my 2 cents,hope it will help you getting it running file and saving some dineros while youre at it.

Leafer are you sure about the type and engine of the bike?I've bee searching and cant find anything about this bike.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]cure"Biggy"bigbelgian

I'll look into the electrical system as soon as I replace the shock. Right now I don't even feel like getting in there. Every time I see the empty spot where the shock was I get all wound up. As far as the carb is concerned, it has been cleaned four times so I'm pretty sure that ain't it. hehe

I'm positive on the engine - I used to think Yamaha shipped this model exclusively to Asian countries but I have found that they sold this model in the UK as well, but with smaller cc; I think 100 over there. We have 100cc and 125cc.

But like flyby said, it's probably the simplest thing. I'm going to do a point by point diagnostic as soon as I gotten over the lost. lol

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P