Question about pitch scale

TOViper

Hi folks!

Starting the new year with a question that came up many years ago:

Why is the pitch scale (let's call it the ladder) moving up or down relatively to the HUD area when the velocity vector (lets call it flight path marker FPM) about 23° of flight path angle (note: wings level)?

It seems when the flight path angle is between -23° and +23° the ladder stays nicely aligned with the horizon (0° on the ladder is definitely the horizon), but when reaching 23° of flight path angle by pulling the nose above 23° the ladder starts moving with the FPM in the same direction.

The DCS F-15C manual says the following about the velocity vector and the pitch scale:
"The pitch scale is positioned in the central portion of the HUD and is linked with the velocity vector indicator. The scale is graduated for 5 degrees. Depending on the banking direction, the scale moves either to the right or to the left, indicating the aircraft’s banking direction and value. In fact, it backs up the bank indicator on the ADI."

I can't see any information about the behavior I described. Any ideas?

Kind reagards,

TOViper

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1

The ladder behavior is the same as the RL aircraft - gradiated at 5 deg up to a point, then at 10deg which may make it feel 'weird', it may feel like the ladder slows down - don't quote me on this, going off by memory from a long time ago.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

I can only imagine that the ladder is reduced to 10° per line for the purpose of better reading.

I guess they didn't want to reduze the spacing between the lines in order to have at least a few lines visible at all times.

Must be something like this.

Visit https://www.viggen.training
...Viggen... what more can you ask for?

my computer:
AMD Ryzen 5600G | NVIDIA GTX 1080 Ti OC 11GB | 32 GB 3200 MHz DDR4 DUAL | SSD 980 256 GB SYS + SSD 2TB DCS | TM Warthog Stick + Throttle + TPR | Rift CV1