MiG-19 - Flying it after a year

SmoglessPanic

I purchased the MiG-19 during a sale around this time last year (March 2020). I flew it for around a month or so trying to get the feel for her but I came away extremely frustrated. I was not able to rate fight the AI F-5's, even being careful my speed would bleed instantly and I'd end up at 400 km/h without much nose authority/control needing to dumb G to get the speed back up. I love the way the 19 looks, how it sounds, everything about it is just cool to me but I was so extremely frustrated every time I flew the module that I just put it on the back burner.

I tried the MiG-19 a week ago or so once more and WOW what a difference, I don't know if I've changed, if the FM changed, or if it's DCS itself but man what a difference. I've been stuck in the 19 for the last two or so weeks and plan on doing some Cold War in that bad boy.

Sorry for the long story, getting back to my original reason for this post. 

How much has the FM changed since this time last year? Am I imagining this magical change? 

• Like 5

It's changed a bit since release, mostly stall/spin behaviour being improved as far as I know. Not sure about since this time a year ago. The rapid speed loss and accelerated stall at AoAs well below what is usually expected hasn't been changed yet, but has been confirmed as incorrect behaviour to be fixed. It might just be that you've come back with a better feel for what it'll tolerate - for me it very much just clicked one day, and while I still run into trouble sometimes, I can at the very least hold my own until either the other guy screws up, or I make the kill. It took months of frustration before I figured it out, and I went from barely flying it and having a very strong love/hate relationship to thoroughly enjoying it, even if I still fly the 21 more.

Edited by rossmum
  • Like 1

I see, it must be that it just clicked for me as well then, I honestly thought something drastic was changed with the FM. I've been getting a lot of enjoyment out of the 19 the last couple of weeks. Maybe one day I will move on to the MiG-21 collecting dust in my hangar lol.

I appreciate the response. 

Edited by SmoglessPanic
  • Like 1