AIM-54C not so improved in DCS?

Schmidtfire

I don't, so the first pass and poor translation that I can perform on the manual so far tells me that there's a blanking device to ensure that this RWR doesn't receive while the radar is emitting.  So far, that's pretty much normal - it listens between pulses like every other RWR in the world.

I'll look at it in more detail later.

Edit:  Yup, the problem is the user interface, the system as a whole apparently worked reasonably, but sadly didn't inform the pilot reasonably.

Edited by GGTharos
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

7 hours ago, Victory205 said:

I just found a video showing that the AIM54C had capability in space. As in outside the freaking atmosphere. Had to be modified, but it was obviously based on the C model.

Yep, NASA's PBHT is or was used to study some important science.   Although for actual space capability you would need motors for stabilization and directional control, so I would imagine a report about actual space would be somewhat erroneous.   The PBHT profiles I've seen go up to 300000'.

Edited by GGTharos

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

Exactly. If you blokes are going to hang on every word and snippet of every embellished sea story told from the vague memory of a fighter hero trying to be dramatic, then I can believe everything I see on a lame streaming Space Soap Opera.

At least they opted to portray silence in space, which is about the only thing that is worthwhile in that show. It’s the Astronauts Wive’s Club meets Apollo 13.

Edited by Victory205

Viewpoints are my own.

On 4/27/2021 at 6:04 AM, Raubritter said:

Any proof ?

Bio talks about it in his interview with Mover as well as TOMCAT RIO

2 minutes ago, Grater Tovakia said:

Also it should be noted that what the OP said was not all true.

The 54s were limited to fleet defense prior to the C not just because of capability but because of magazine reserves. If the Balloon went up they wanted a sizeable reserve to deal with Bombers. That again was just one factor however. Bio explains it well in both the interview and his book.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Grater Tovakia said:

Also it should be noted that what the OP said was not all true.

The 54s were limited to fleet defense prior to the C not just because of capability but because of magazine reserves. If the Balloon went up they wanted a sizeable reserve to deal with Bombers. That again was just one factor however. Bio explains it well in both the interview and his book.

Yeah, I Think the "number" that I recall reading about was basically one full 6xphoenix loadout per jet was what each carrier carried. And either that was gonna be enough or if it wasn't it wasn't gonna matter anyway. So 6x12 ish +/- 50% per embarked squadron is probably a reasonable approximation. 

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).