Generic VR pit based on F18 (WIP)

Savvy

Here's a couple of progress shots of my generic VR pit. I'm currently in the process of rebuilding all the inputs with my new CNC machine and have included things like back-lighting, flood lighting etc which is all controlled by the internal lights panel.

I've also attached some tactile transducers to the seat which make it shake with bass noise. These are controlled by a custom panel on the rear of the right console, so I can reach out and turn it down/off if needed.

For now, I've also included the mouse in the right panel. I can't decide if I want it there or not but it does make it very easy to access for those few times when I don't have a switch available.

The fuel management panel currently has 2 keypads controlled by Arduino. The left one has misc controlls like score, arming and comm1, comm2. The right one is assigned to function keys F1-F12. This allows me to use the radio commands very easily, just press Comm1, then the relative function key to the right to execute the commands.

I've only really partially done the right panel, all the rest is still very much the older V1 version so looks a bit rough.

20210518_090555_medium.jpg

20210518_090606_medium.jpg

• Like 2

Something I forgot to mention was that all switches and gear/wing/wheel break are all momentary so they can go up or down but always revert back in a middle default position. This means they are never out of sync with the sim.
I never liked it with the warthog in VR when you went to flip a switch up that was already up, then you have to flip it down then up again to register.

Wow!!! this is fantastic!!!!

Can you share the button/switch templates? I'm thinking a lot about the possibility to have an "universal" button box but I'm really confused as there are a really big amount of options and commands to select!!

Thanks for that. I designed all the panels either from the F18 NateOps manual, or the generic panels were taken directly from other aircraft. E.G the Tacan panel is copied from the F-5e. External lights will be from the Harrier etc. The entire thing is modular so I can switch out panels if I change my mind.

I'd suggest just jumping in a having a go. If on a budget start with a cheap USB joystick board, some buttons/switches and mount into some offcuts of wood. The next step up would be using something like a Leo Bodnar Board, or go full DIY and use an Arduino (Leonardo)

You'll likely change your mind a lot as you go, so just start something easy, perhaps a few switches that control flaps/gear/hook/master arm.