Problems with AI Harrier taking off from FARP

HedgeSlammer

Hi folks, I'm just putting a mission together which involves flying out of a FARP in Georgia, using a mixed team of Gazelles & Harriers.

Depending on whether you fly the Harrier or Gazelle, an AI pilot flies the the other aircraft.

The AI Gazelle takes off fine and happily flies off to complete his mission.

But the AI Harrier takes off vertically from the ground (his WP0 is set as 'takeoff from ground'), goes straight up to about 1200', then tips backward & crashes into the ground instead of heading off to his next WP.

I've tried reducing the load from a couple of bombs & Mavs to nothing + 50% fuel = gross weight 19,000lbs - no change

I've tried creating a new harrier with again no load, only 2 WP including the 'takeoff from ground' WP0 - no change

Anyone have any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

Only solution I can see right now is let the fellow take off, then when he gets to about 500', de-activate him and activate a new harrier starting at 500' and 170kts - it'll work but if I can use the takeoff from ground instruction, I'd be happier, otherwise - what's the point of it?

AI harriers have been notoriously bad since day 1.  If I had to guess I'd say they've not worked correctly in various ways 90% of patches and I wouldn't expect that to change.

I think your workaround is probably the only answer...or something in a similar vane.  You could try giving them even less fuel  and if there's an amount they will behave correctly with, then have them go direct to a tanker if you can work it in your scenario.  I would also check that they are facing into the wind on takeoff...or even give them a direct tailwind just to test since coding gets easily messed up sometimes.  Also wind speed might make a difference.  

Just spitballing here...good luck ~

7 hours ago, johnv2pt0 said:

AI harriers have been notoriously bad since day 1.  If I had to guess I'd say they've not worked correctly in various ways 90% of patches and I wouldn't expect that to change.

I think your workaround is probably the only answer...or something in a similar vane.  You could try giving them even less fuel  and if there's an amount they will behave correctly with, then have them go direct to a tanker if you can work it in your scenario.  I would also check that they are facing into the wind on takeoff...or even give them a direct tailwind just to test since coding gets easily messed up sometimes.  Also wind speed might make a difference.  

Just spitballing here...good luck ~

Cheers - I'll see if any of those things help.  Never used the TakeOff from ground option for a harrier before, so I'm guessing it's a helicopter only thing that just doesn't work for it, but I'll see...

• 3 months later...

I am trying the same ...and getting the same result...there isn't even an option for an AI harrier to land at a FARP... As for johnv2pt0 suggestion of reducing fuel...there is a more fundamaental problem which you might have noticed....the engines are not even turning. I love the Harrier - but without the AI being able to do what a player can do then what's the point. You might as well get an F18.