Mission 17

I'm having trouble completing this mission. I've tried many times, and with some help from Tacview have learned to down most of the convoy, including most of the air defenses, and RTB. Wingman always seems to get shot down before he can help out much. But I'm not getting "Mission Complete" and so am wondering what are the criteria here?

Also I find this mission impossible to fly without labels on. The poor lighting under clouds makes the ground units blend into the background. The haze on the F-5 HUD does not help in low contrast situations, and I find myself trying to look around it to see better. Is there a mod that cleans that up?

However, overall I'm having fun trying to work through the campaign. My only suggestion for a modification is to go a bit less heavy on the clouds and bad weather. The gloomy feel flying many of these missions makes me long for a virtual sunny day.

Edited by sthompson
wrong mission number in the title! corrected.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

• sthompson changed the title to Mission 17

The convoy should be less than 50%. As for the weather, I grew up around Black Sea, on the other side, the weather in March stinks really bad, also, with the new very good looking clouds, I'm limited to presets rather than building the weather on my own. I know when that when I modified those mission for the new clouds those felt like the best balance. I was able to see the convoy without labels following the road low enough. I'll run a test and see how it looks like now. Maybe some things modified since the last update. 

You know, if you are getting frustrated, there's no shame in using the F10 and skipping it. 

5 hours ago, Clairvoyantwolf said:

Unfortunately it appears the F10 option doesn't work for this mission.

Just tested that mission and the F10 works, also the rest of the mission works as expected. Are you on OB or Stable? I don't see any other reason why F10 wouldn't work in your case. 

4 hours ago, Clairvoyantwolf said:

I just tested it as well. The mission ends, but I'm not awarded a passing score (it is 50). I've previously used it with no issue. I am on stable.

Sorry, I was testing it on OB. That's weird, It may take some time to come up with a fix, as I'm away from the main computer for about a week. 

FWIW I was eventually able to complete the mission. The key seemed to be a more effective first pass with the Snakeyes and telling my Wingman to hold position away from the engagement area until I had diminished the AA threats. When I finally got a verbal RTB it was after defeating the SAMs and AAA and most of the trucks. This was on OB. I didn't try the F10 option. In previous attempts I had received a score above 50 and results of 50 prior to returning to base and so I thought I would get the remaining 50 for "results" when I accomplished RTB. But I never got the RTB prompt and did not get a mission complete or additional score or "results."

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I was able to beat the mission the "honest" way. I was worried that it was bugged with the F10 option not working. The mission isn't really difficult, it's just annoying to execute perfectly. In any case, I tried F10 on the next mission and it gave me a passing score. I don't know why mission 17 does not. Hope that helps.

BTW I do rather enjoy the campaign and I look forward to the Mig-21 campaign as well.

• 1 year later...

Good day SoreIRo
You said that convoy should lost more than 50% for mission success.
Do Shilka and Strela count as part of convoy? Or convoy is only trucks?
Asking because each attack pass above convoy for me it is 50/50 chance they hit me
And I prefer not to do unnecessary pass above probably alive MANPANDS and AAA.
So maybe if there only couple of trucks + Shilka + Strela left alive - it is enough?
Thanks

Edited by Odessa

2 hours ago, Odessa said:

Good day SoreIRo
You said that convoy should lost more than 50% for mission success.
Do Shilka and Strela count as part of convoy? Or convoy is only trucks?
Asking because each attack pass above convoy for me it is 50/50 chance they hit me
And I prefer not to do unnecessary pass above probably alive MANPANDS and AAA.
So maybe if there only couple of trucks + Shilka + Strela left alive - it is enough?
Thanks

Just to motorized vehicles are part of the convoy, so the Shilka, and the ZSU's on trucks, and the supply trucks,  the MANPADS are not part of the convoy, keep in mind that the MANPADS don't have resuply, so once they shoot they are pretty much done. It helps to pre-flare or to make a dummy run on them very fast to locate them and make them bite, this way you won't be focused on your attack and the convoy won't disperse, one pass is all you need, by now you should be surgical with your rockets and gun, or go with bombs the first time then, pick them up with rockets, 

Thanks for hint "pre-flare".  Yeah, first strike the most important, otherwise wounded disperse.
I watched on Youtube how some Callsign Winkle plays your campaign. There was one more useful hint - do not attack as briefeng suggests but overfly them and hit from the back.
Attack from behind works.
I am not sure if it is Sun or hills help but I could never survive attack run if I go from WP5.
And Overlord actually says "RTB" when convoy is destroyed enough.
Mission 17 passed.
What is next? 🤐