Performance question

Arink429

Hi. 

As far as I know, on NATOPS A1-F18AC-NFM-200 there are three different climb profiles for military power: Climb Speed Schedule (CSS), 350kt to constant MN, and Peak Rate of Climb (PRC), but I'm not sure of the difference between CSS and PRC. I tested the hornet during climb using Peak of climb profile, the KCAS mantained during climb is slower than the CSS until aproximately FL300, then it becomes slightly higher. I noted that the shedule profile mapped on DCS on FPAS Climb feature computes exactly for CSS Drag Index 0 (515KCAS to MN0.85). 

So, concerning to Peak Rate of Climb and Climb Speed Schedule, what is the exactly difference? Wich of them should to be used for reach before the Top of Climb (best rate of climb) and wich for best angle of climb?
I still making my own tests.

Thanks.

Edited by Arink429
  • Like 1

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS X HERO WiFi AC / i7-8700K@5.0 GHz / 2xM.2 Toshiba OCZ RD400 1Tb / 4xCorsair 8Gb (32Gb) DDR4@3000 MHz / 2xGeforce GTX 1080 Ti + 1Geforce GTX 680 / SoundBlaster Fatal1ty / Windows 10 Home x64 / TM Warthog / TM TPR Pedals / Oculus Rift / Samsung UE32EH5000W

• 3 months later...

Probably all depends on the tactical objective. If you’re actually going somewhere, I’d assume CSS will provide the most fuel efficient climb profile per nm traveled.

Best rate of climb obviously gets you up as fast as possible, but probably does so at the expense of fuel burn/nm. Important if you need to get to alt fast for BVR engagement.

350 into constant Mach is actually what I tend to fly, just because it’s the simplest.

My question is, should the FPAS climb speed profile adjust for the actual aircraft drag index? It would seem silly not to, otherwise why even include what is effectively an always incorrect figure?

Edited by norman99