Assistance to getting the SERVER into the Multiplayer List in DCS and play on it...

Hi all,

I have set up a dedicated server @ Home on a elderly Xeon PC and Win Server 2022.

So what is working?

1) See the Server on the machine as up and running...

2) See the Server as up and running on the profile page on dcs site

3) See the Server on DCS Server Tracker: Servers (glowie.xyz)

4) Checked the ports 10308, 8088 on can you see me - seems to work (nothing on 10309)

5) Start/Stop the server from the DCS Website works

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I also added firewall rules to the local server and of course to the router so that canyouseeme.org works via those ports (courtesy of How to Host a DCS Server - Full Step-by-step Guide - ServerAcademy.com)

# DCS TCP inbound rules
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS TCP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10308 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS TCP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10309 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS UDP inbound rules
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS UDP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10308 -Protocol UDP -Action Allow
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS UDP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10309 -Protocol UDP -Action Allow
# DCS WebGUI TCP inbound  rules
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS WebGUI TCP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 8088 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# TacView Realtime Telemetry
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "TacView Realtime Telemetry Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 42674 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# TacView Remote Control
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "TacView Remote Control Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 42675 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS SRS TCP1
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS SRS TCP1" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5002 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS SRS TCP2
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS SRS TCP2" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5003 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow

Trying to connect via the public ip i get:

image.png

Connecting via local network  (192.168 ans so on) i get server offline - also for other random ranges of IP's - are there IP like mine with the 91 starting banned or not allowed?? Trying some random IPs delivers the same results (other 91's) so it looks more like its checking the IP Adresse in terms of text rather than actually trying to get a sever behind that adress.

And in DCS the  server is not shown.

image.png

Any hints to my mistakes or tipps for advanced troubleshooting are higly welcome!! ThX!

Only thing I noticed, after first login, it has never asked me again for a login, when starting the server, but since its synced to the profile correctly i guess that is working.

And any tipps on the hardware: its a 4 Core Xeon E31220 @ 3,1Ghz. Currently only 10GB - I would upgrade the ram to 16 or 32, as soon as i know its working... not the best anymore, but its a "fair" machine, doing nothing else other than some backups once a week.

Edited by [zcd]dARKtROOPER

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X , NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090, ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO, 32 GB, Pimax 8KX

That is interessting.... I did not notice that thx for that hint - one screenshot is from 2 days ago, the other from today, since i did not make a screen shot of that before - I did run the update on the server also today but it did nothing - will check to see in the logs.

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X , NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090, ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VIII DARK HERO, 32 GB, Pimax 8KX

23 hours ago, HC_Official said:

you will only be able to connect to your server if it is on your own local LAN by using the servers LAN side IP address

Why is that ? As long as your port forwarding is properly configured you should be able to take the "long way home" and connect via your public IP.

In any case, the server should be visible on MP servers list.

I have the same exact issue : dedicated server on my LAN is visible there https://dcs.glowie.xyz/servers  but I can't find it in MP game. The versions are the same and I can connect through local IP.

I'm running latest DCS stable version, and  everything was working as intended a few months ago.

• Like 1

I got it working thx alot to Special K @ the DCS Discord - in short:

1) Check that you can reach all ports you need: only focus on 10308 and 8088 - from externaly in TCP and UDP (UDP not checkable) - check that your provider is giving you a public IP, not Carrier-grade NAT' ing you 

2) Ensure you are using the same client and server versions and branch - this got me since i did make a mistake in the iterations and copied the none beta over to the server at some point - I only play beta at the moment which will NOT show the none Beta. So easiest way: ON the server it will show "OpenBeta" in the folder name, the icon and start menu - ensure that is the case if you are running the latest version of DCS. ( Afte lots of double checks and WireShark where I saw that Client and Server did a short communication on 10308 UDP, i figured for some reason they dont understand each other - in my case diffrent Client and Server Versions of the Game)

As soon as I got that - it showed up and was working.

If stil some trouble you might check on your "server" if it is listening to the ports for 10308 for TCP and UDP, and also 8088 TCP with

netstat -ano | Select-String "4760"

with 4760 is the current PID when running

image.png

Check that your firewall on the Router AND the Server OS are letting the prots through - I added up this skript - not all is needed so just use the one you are interested in - works for the Windows Firewall only.

# DCS TCP inbound rules
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS TCP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10308 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS TCP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10309 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS UDP inbound rules
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS UDP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10308 -Protocol UDP -Action Allow
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS UDP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 10309 -Protocol UDP -Action Allow
# DCS WebGUI TCP inbound  rules
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS WebGUI TCP Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 8088 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# TacView Realtime Telemetry
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "TacView Realtime Telemetry Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 42674 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# TacView Remote Control
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "TacView Remote Control Inbound" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 42675 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS SRS TCP1
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS SRS TCP1" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5002 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS SRS TCP2
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS SRS TCP2" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5003 -Protocol TCP -Action Allow
# DCS SRS UDP1
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS SRS TCP1" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5002 -Protocol UDP -Action Allow
# DCS SRS UDP2
New-NetFirewallRule -DisplayName "DCS SRS TCP2" -Direction Inbound -LocalPort 5003 -Protocol UDP -Action Allow

So thanks all for the help !! - as often a few things and a human mistake made the trouble... (Would be cool if the Server Version was shown on the WebGUI 😉 )

Edited by [zcd]dARKtROOPER

Thank you immensely for taking the time to write such a detailed post Darktrooper.

Unfortunately there is nothing I haven't already double-checked.

1- My FAI is providing me a full stack public IP, port 8088 TCP, port 10308 TCP and UDP are correctly forwarded to my server local IP.

2- I'm running the latest stable version on both game client and dedicated server, they are on the same LAN. I can connect to the server by entering "local_IP":10308 + pwd  and it's working perfectly like that. But server is not showing on MP servers list

3-  I have checked with the PS  netstat command, the server is actualy listening to the ports 10308 and 8088 (my PID is different though, I have 10336), I have opened the ports on the server firewall, both inbound and outbound. I have even turned off the FW completely for a short time to make sure.

4- Public setting is checked, and my server appears over here https://dcs.glowie.xyz/servers?sort=Country:ASC

I would say it behaves as if the port forwarding rules were not enabled on the router. But it's been  triple checked, and it was working before with exactly the same configuration. All I did was updating DCS (client and server side)

Edited by pixie

• 2 weeks later...

I think I've found the answer to my issue. I'm copying and pasting my findings froma different thread. It turns ous HC_official  a few replies above was right all along. For a local MP public server, you have to connect locally !

Ok I've made good progress, and finally understood why I can't see my MP server from my gaming PC. It's only network logic.

My Dedicated server PC has all the server ports forwarded from my public IP to its local IP by the router. So far so good. 

My gaming PC has the same public IP but a different local IP. It cannot query my local server via the MP interface because they share the same public IP and nothing is sent back to the gaming PC on this address and port because of the routing.

The only way I could see my MP server was by connecting my gaming PC through a VPN which provides a fake public IP.  Since the Server and the Gaming PC are on a different public IP, the server shows up in the list. But that's actually useless, a local direct connection to the server local IP is working fine. It's even better since there's no lag induced by going out through a vpn and bouncing back to the server. The VPN was just there to prove my point and unerstand the logic.

All in all, even if my server is not showing in the MP interface, it's actually showing to people with a different public IP which is perfectly fine for a public server.