Initial Impression & Short Review

I just completed Iron Flag: Part 1 last night!

Save for some small details, I feel like I was already pretty up to speed in the Hog. That being said, I was  learning a lot of the little unique quirks to the TAD, CDU, IFFCC settings, and navigation that gave me a renewed confidence in the Hog and as a bonus, the way the instructors deliver the practical applications of what you're learning felt great. 

Voice acting is tremendous, I really enjoyed Biff and Lotus as your instructors, Biff continuously brought a lot character to the learning environment and it didn't feel dull as we went over a lot of the more tedious textbook content. Felt incredibly authentic to me, though I've never been a pilot in training! 

I was especially delighted having to interact with the Nellis ground, tower, approach, and departure controllers. I am just a civilian, and not a real pilot at that, but I absolutely felt like I was a part of a the whole bigger operation with these added elements. This is something I hear BMS does well, but I've never played it or seen fleshed out ATC interactions and this felt like a vital part of each mission and was treated as such with a high level of detail! I wish all of DCS could be like this. 

All that being said, I felt comfortable with the pace following Biff through the instructions as I knew my way around the Hog's cockpit like the back of my hand.

Newer players may struggle with the pace, but I feel as though Biff does a great job of explaining where switches are while keeping the flow of training moving effectively. A few points through the missions allow the player to ask for a repeat of the instructions via the F10 radio. 

At the end of the day, it felt good to hop into the Hog and push my knowledge even further along while improving my own aviating skills and effectiveness with the Charlie model. 

I absolutely can NOT wait for Part 2, I'll help convince as many people as I can to get Part 1 so that Baltic Dragon hears how much we appreciate their work on this campaign! Thank you for all you do! 

• Like 5

Thanks for the review, it helped me to move forward and just purchase it too, even tough at the moment I'm not flying the A-10C (as I'm currently involved with the T-45C, the A-4E and the Gripen User Mods) .. but it will serve as a motivation to fly the A-10 again 👍

Best regards

• Like 2

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB