New guy/Just starting (forgive this post - I searched and couldn't find all info)

Long Horn

Hey folks,

I've searched a bit but couldn't find a thread for just entering DCS. ( while I'm certain it's out there, again my apologies )

I'm in the process of building a DCS specific rig and have found EXCELLENT info on that.

My intention is to primarily focus on the A10C first, then the FA18C (Thrustmaster rig for both) 

I've taken advantage of the new year sales and purchased the following. (also searching for manuals for all).

Can someone please advise where I can find the modules I've purchased? I read the manuals are there? 

I've attached an Excel sheet mapping out my plan to go bankrupt (LOL) 

While the sale is still running I'd be very grateful for any advice on additional purchases while I can use the discount. Even if I may not use the purchase for a bit (I already know the learning curve is steep) 

Current purchases:

A10C II Tank Killer 

F/A 18C Hornet

Super Carrier

Persian Gulf Map

Nevada Test & Trainings Range Map

A10C Iron Flag Part 1 Campaign

F/A 18 Rise of the Persian Loin Campaign  

Again please forgive any frustration - I know this must happen a lot. 

DCS Build out and product purchases.xlsx

Edited by Long Horn
typo
  • Like 1

After youve purchased the module you open DCS (with internet access), log on with your username as per your main DCS account and look for the icon that looks like a rubic cube on the main screen (at the top). That should hve a little red number showing you have modules to install. Click on the icon and Install them from there.

Manuals are kept in the "Doc" folder of each module. The DCS manual iself is stored in the DCS main directory "Doc" folder. Modules are generally installed in the "Mods" folder in the main game directory and in each module's own folder you will find its manual in the "Doc" folder. 

EDIT - in addition to the DCS manuals, look for CHUCK OWLs guides. These will get you going much faster and then you can dig deeping using the big book later if you prefer. 

Edited by Boosterdog

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

• ED Team
4 hours ago, Boosterdog said:

After youve purchased the module you open DCS

Alas, it should have been done in reverse order. There is a special 50% discount for new buyers:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/Discount/
But this offer is only available in the game. If you have time to make a support request (within 03.01), we can reduce the cost of your order: 
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

There is a sale now, but nevertheless, I would like you to save some more. Also, you always have the option of testing the module first.

• Like 2

Just now, maximov said:

Alas, it should have been done in reverse order. There is a special 50% discount for new buyers:
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/Discount/
But this offer is only available in the game. If you have time to make a support request (within 03.01), we can reduce the cost of your order: 
https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/

There is a sale now, but nevertheless, I would like you to save some more. Also, you always have the option of testing the module first.

I assumed that boat had already sailed for the OP since his purchases were already made. 

MSI Tomahawk X570 Mobo, Ryzen 5600X undervolted on Artic Freezer E34 Cooler, RTX3080 FE, 32GB (2x16GB Dual Ranked) GSkil 3600 CL16 Trident Neo RAM, 2X 4th Gen M2 SSDs, Corsair RM850x PSU, Lancool 215 Case. 

Gear: MFG Crosswinds, Warthog Throttle, Virpil T50CM gen 1 stick, TIR5, Cougar MFD (OOA), D-link H7/B powered USB 2.0 Hub all strapped to a butchered Wheel stand pro, Cushion to bang head on, wall to scream at.  

Boosterdawg............... there are a boat load of youtube videos on how to set up the game, add this, delete that, plane specific tutorials, HOTAS setup, you name it and it's there.  The Grim Reapers have what seems like a thousand videos on just about everything DCS.  I would spend a good bit of time watching them.  The training in the game is plane specific, so it won't tell you how to set up or use anything else. 

Grim Reapers Youtube channel.  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZuXjkFY00p1ga3UyCBbR2w

Spudknocker has a good channel too.  https://www.youtube.com/c/Spudknocker 

do the training missions in game for the modules you have purchased, you can also do a trial with planes you may be interested in for free for a short time.  But the Youtube is indispensable for all the other situations you may encounter.  You will get good information on these forums too....................... well , sometimes.....

Hoss

Sempre Fortis

4 hours ago, 352nd_Hoss said:

Boosterdawg...............

I wasnt the one asking 🙂  

But I agree with what you say. I was going to put something similar but the OP asked about the manuals specifically. I think like most I muddle by with the Chuck Owl guides and You Tube withut delving into the minutia of the flght manuals. But I dont fly "to the book" so each to their own . 

Hope he sees Maximov's post.