Crash on loading Syria after purchase

Hi, I have tried two instant action missions (F16 and Huey) and one F16 mission and the game crashes to desktop just as it is finishing loading the Syria map.

I purchased the Syria map two days ago and finished downloading it yesterday. I already tried the check local game files, and after that tried the F16 standard mission resulting in the third CTD.

The log file mentions out of memory error.

dcs.20220130-170340.crash dcs.log dcs.20220130-163540.crash

Edited by BudgietheLittleHelicopter

• ED Team
1 hour ago, BudgietheLittleHelicopter said:

The log file mentions out of memory error.

You have already found the cause of the crash yourself. The map of Syria really consumes a lot of computer resources. Try increasing the swap file to 20-25 GB. Buying additional RAM modules will be the best solution.
Besides, it's high time for you to update the graphics card driver. Please do this on the official NVIDIA website.

• ED Team

I heard that miners have learned to use CPUs. So don't wait for the price of video cards or CPUs to drop. But RAM doesn't cost that much at the moment. 32 GB is already a good minimum memory reserve. For multiplayer game using VR this stock is no longer enough.

Hi, I'm sure you lowered already many of the graphic options.   But since I looked in your log you might want to try some settings:

I use 1080x1920 resolution just like you, but I have "aspect" = 1.3333333333333

And since I have lowered the anisotropy to 4x (maybe even lower for you if it helps) I dont have a CTD anymore.

I dont have heatBlr on and civ traffic off/low

turn of all shadows (or when you use it put it on flat)

And instead of using SSLR

I use MSAA = 2x         SSAA =  1.5  in the settings menu.

Goodluck

Hi Cnuke, and Maximov,

thanks for your suggestions. Sorry it took a while to respond. It took a week before I had the chance to fly DCS again. I am pretty satisfied with the FPS I get in DCS in general. Around 45-50 fps above Damascus in free flight (not bad for a cpu from circa 2012). I think the bottleneck in my system is the processor (i5-3350P CPU @ 3.10GHz), and the 16Gb memory and not my graphics card (1070). I have most options on high. I am wondering about the aspect ratio, for 1920 x 1080, 1.778 seems the correct ratio. I have both DCS and windows on separate SSD's.

The reason I think that the cpu is the weakest link is that when AI units are activated in scenario's I sometimes experience a short slow-down of a few micro-seconds (even if the AI units are not directly visible to me). So far I haven't had any problems with CTD on Syria anymore (since I increased the swap file). But I have had little time to fly so far. If I notice anything interesting I will let you guys know. I would like to configure a new pc around a new powerful cpu, and faster memory, new motherboard, etc. And I would rather not spend money on my current relatively slow memory type. I guess I am waiting for a sign from the gods or the stars to align before pulling the trigger on the pc upgrade. Thanks again for your help.

Settings start.jpg

Syria Damascus.jpg