Pilot after catapulting and CSAR helicopters

Nahen

Would it be a big problem to enable the incarnation of a catapulted pilot in the silhouette of an infantryman who is taken by CSAR helicopters?
Many times the character appears in places from which, for example, it is difficult to pick it up at night with a CSAR helicopter. If it was possible to move this character, one could, for example, go out of the forest into a clearing, road or city, a helicopter could pick it up successfully.

I don't require any more interactions, just the ability to move.
Has anyone on yours team thought or is thinking about it?

• Like 2

Or something else, the moment of leaving the pilot's slot / server would place a character to be picked up by CSAR helicopters in the place of his last "stay". In such a situation, I parachute, I land, I go to a sensible place, I go to the spectator / I leave the server / I change the slot and at this point a "guy" appears in my last position to picked up.

Only this.

Hmmm. IIRC, it is possible (or at least was in some earlier versions) to walk the parachuted guy (when you ejected yourself) using your joystick. I don't know if that is still possible (will check tonight). [EDIT: confirmed. After you land and discard your parachute, you can walk about]

In any event, although it would be nice if the pilot could move to some more accessible location, simply assume they got hurt, and can't move under their own power 🙂 (and yes, you'd have your own people go in and pick them up, as they always would. Any sensible CSAR involves dropping your own troops and bringing in the evacuee at gunpoint - for obvious reasons). It's a limit of DCS, so let's integrate it into our game worldview.

Edited by cfrag

Hi Nahen,

Actually this capability is so critical for choppers that the community couldn't really wait after ED to implement this. For many years, all missions we are flying and pretty much all the public/private servers involving choppers that I know are running the CSAR script (that itself includes many variations and branches now). Crashed aircraft or ejected pilots are replaced with whatever infantry/pilot model that will then run towards the chopper that lands nearby and jumps on board (it doesn't show up obviously inside the chopper but it does add weight to it). Extraction can also be done with a virtual rope by hovering above the ejected guy. Finally, if the pilot ejects over water, he is replaced with whatever boat model you have (default or mods). You can also ask the infantry guy or boat to drop a smoke for approach and/or localization. Also, the moment the pilot hit the ground/water, an automatic emergency beacon is added with the freq announced by text.

Why ED didn't choose to implement this in game is beyond me but considering the script has been working pretty well for years and patches didn't break it too much, I guess the community didn't pushed for it too much.

Edited by BaD CrC

Bad CrC

Unfortunately, CSAR scripts have a very limited range of "picking up" a helicopter pilot. When it is impossible to land in a radius below 400 meters the pilot will not come to the helicopter.

Cfrag

Yes, you can move the pilot after ejecting, but unfortunately it has no meaning for the game world, let alone for helicopters and CSAR scripts.
I do not think that such a problem would be the implementation of the possibility of "switching on" the "infantry M4" by the player at the moment when he wishes, and not automatically by the system at the ejecting point. I bet that nobody in ED wants to do it, and that's it.

As for the "perception" of the game world and mood - I actually not run DCS and imagine that I am flying with my eyes closed while sitting at the grill ... but this is no fun.

1 hour ago, Nahen said:

When it is impossible to land in a radius below 400 meters the pilot will not come to the helicopter.

That may be solvable: you could edit the CSAR script and change the max rescue distance - it has to be in there somewhere; it may even be a configuration setting (depending on which CSAR script you are using). In any event, don't most CSAR scripts also allow hover rescue with a rope? If yours doesn't maybe look around for another script that allows it. 

It doesn't really solve your initial idea of controlling a downed pilot and navigating them to the helo, I agree, but it may mitigate the issue for you somewhat. In any event, I'd love if ED allowed for more realistic CSAR missions where you bring along a squad, and they move out to pick up the pilot and then return to the whirly. I've just took that community UH60 for a spin, and that one is practically begging for such missions (even more than the Hooi)

We tried to change this distance - max is about 400 meters and nothing else in CTLD.
I do not want to direct the pilot to the helicopter. I want to be able to decide where to leave it and from where to get it by the helicopter