Silly question, but how do I get my pattern to cut-around the fuselage, canopy, GAU8 and join back together?

Hookah

Gents, & Miladies,

I'm trying to learn to skin my own hawg, and I'm wondering if the pattern I found can be cut to wrap around  the body contours of the fuselage and the bits and pieces of the canopy, etc.  I really like the chocolate chip desert pattern and want to use it.  

I brought it into the gimp file background layer, but it doesn't wrap-around at the red panel lines.  It just skips that area and continues on, resulting in colors that do not continue or line up.

All the tutorials I've seen everyone "hand colors" their patterns or uses a digital design that doesn't really need to be lined up.

Is that really the way it has to be done?  If so, I don't know if I want to put in that much effort.

Any recommendations are much appreciated.  And don't feel bad if you have to break the bad news to me.

Many thanks,

Callsign: "Hookah"

skin1.jpg

chocolate_desert_2048x2048@2x.jpg

A-10C_104_1-a.gif

skin3.jpg

• 4 months later...

Late reply, short answer is you can’t just put down a square camo pattern and hope for the best.

What you have there is doable, but will be a labour of love. 
And (in my view) you have started with the easy panel as it does wrap around to some extent.

You need to break the correct bits off the original camo tile then move them into place.

Then you’ll Have to blend then together etc.

A easier way is to use masked layers for each colour & go from there.

Good luck, it would look great when completed.

Send lawyers, guns and money......... for the …. has hit the fan.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core Processor | RAM: Corsair 32.0GB Dual-Channel | MOBO: ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (AM4) | GPU: MSI G271CQP on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 | SSD: Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB & Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB for Gaming

CH Fightersick - Pro Throttle - Pro Pedals | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar x 3 | Buddy Fox A-10C UFC

image.jpeg